159 to soldier on till 2013 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Shame about the delay Alfa should have stuck with the 156, 159 is a bit bloated and needs replacing.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot
Originally Posted by Mr_Caine View Post
Shame about the delay Alfa should have stuck with the 156, 159 is a bit bloated and needs replacing.
Originally Posted by Mr_Caine View Post
Yes. Right.

AO Platinum Member
County: -
Wouldn't say that MrC - it needs a mid-life lift.
Engines, Co2 emissions and a proper overhaul of key ongoing issues. The car is fundamentally a good car. Handles well, drives well etc but needs to keep up with other marques who are at least a generation ahead now. Audi, BM, Merc, Jag, Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot all have new gen cars either online now or iminent.
Another 2 years of flogging exactly the same car may be cost effective for production but perhaps not for the brand or those all important customers looking for something different but yet competitive.
'Ti-ing' nearly every new 159 to make them 'look' better, won't hide the inherent underlying issues that a mid-life technical rework would address.

-Keep It Moist-
I'm experiencing deja vu and amnesia at the same time... I think I've forgotten this before.
145 QV->156 1.8->166 3.0->156SW 2.4->166 3.0 V6->156 2.4 20v->2.0Spider->159 2.4->159 2.4->159 TI 2.4 Modifica->Merc C-Class->Jag XJ->Boxster S->BMW 330d XD Msport Plus Performance

Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
The daft thing about the german marques is that they montinually modify their models, changing them every year and then bring out a new model that looks very similar anyway. Thats how they manage their residuals - a six year old BMW/Audi/Mercedes looks like a three year old one - you can tell it's not the current model but by how much it's difficult to tell - conservative design I suppose. Now when Alfa (or any other design based manufacturer) bring out a new model the buying public expect it to look different. This doesn't help residuals. So where does this leave us? Well 159 residuals don't seem to have gone through the floor. The design still looks good, it could do with going on a diet, and some more efficient/powerful engines and a refresh of the interior. That's all do-able - and I'd certainly be interested in one (....that'd be my third!) but it'd cost and I suppose that's the problem as the initial engineering and investment partners aren't there to share costs with.

I wonder if it could be sold in the USA as a Chrysler to boost the unit sales!!

146 1.6TS, 156 2.0TS, 156 1.8TS, 147 1.6TS, 147 2.0TS, 159 1.9JTS, 147 1.6TS, 159 1.9JTDm, Mito 1.4, GT, Giulietta 2.0JTDm, Giulietta 1.4tb, Giulietta 1.6JTDm........
AO Member
County: -
Don't forget the compact crossover they're planning, can't wait to see that!

As mentinoned before the new DPF design seems to be the end of the previous problems.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 2013 , soldier , till