Hidden surprise feature on my 159sw - list yours here - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 18Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 287 Old 10-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

159 sw

Chilling Hidden surprise feature on my 159sw - list yours here

When I spotted my now car being advertised at Veloces I was immediately taken

I always loved the SW look but when this Lusso came up it had 18" alloys, gun metal grey and electric memory seats plus all the other bells & whistles

However last night my wife used the car and correctly pressed her chosen seat position. So this morning I got in, pressed setting 1 and the mirrors moved as well and I had no idea it had that feature

Don't you just love surprises after 2 months of ownership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

335i Coupe

Suprises are great..i didnt even know i had BOSE and blue&me when i bought mine..
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

2.0 159 SW Ti

Not really a surprise feature, but my 10-plate SW has an "off" button on the aircon unit where my 57-plate spider had a MASSIVELY more useful "mono" button... Some kind soul on here mentioned that holding down the "auto" button on the drivers side does the same trick...

Nev

If you have memory seats then you'll also have the
automatic angle down on the wing mirror when you
put it into reverse too, I think.

(Post Link) post #5 of 287 Old 10-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 sw

Angle down on reverse is news to me and I am sure I'd have noticed this by now considering I reverse the car into the garage every night but I'll take another look later

My favourite surprise find on a car was my Clio 172 cup. As we all know the 172 cup was very basic with no AC or ABS. So when mine had a cassette head unit I thought oh well I'll need to upgrade the stereo some time. Then 3 or 4 weeks later I dropped something in the foot well and had a look, but hey presto under the drivers seat was 6 disc CD changer

On the 2SKi forum there was always the thread going around "secret compartment" so many people didn't know that the centre arm storage section had another clip that opened up a nice sized storage compartment near the small wind deflector
mr c likes this.

92-96 305 1.9 GTXi (sold)
96-00 Fiesta Mk1 Ghia (sold) Uni car with rev counter and faux wood dash
00-01 Clio Williams 2 (dead) A1 until I met a tree at 50mph
01-02 206 Gti (sold) a bad Gti & chipping it did nothing
02-04 GTV 3.0 V6 (sold) cracking engine & a beauty
04-06 Clio 172 Cup (sold) loved it but 95k miles it had to go
06-10 S2000 (sold) RWD roof down fun but baby forces sale
10-11 Clio 197 F1 Cup (sold) too much fun to write about
11- 159sw Lusso JTDm (now) Daddy cool
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemaster View Post
Not really a surprise feature, but my 10-plate SW has an "off" button on the aircon unit where my 57-plate spider had a MASSIVELY more useful "mono" button... Some kind soul on here mentioned that holding down the "auto" button on the drivers side does the same trick...
Wish I had the "off" button as it a real hassle turning off the older units quickly
AO Silver Member

I discovered my coming home lights a couple of night back when I inadvertently knocked the stalk.

Cheers
MC
(Post Link) post #8 of 287 Old 10-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 sw

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterchase View Post
I discovered my coming home lights a couple of night back when I inadvertently knocked the stalk.

Cheers
MC

What the........... I'm sure I have this but for the life of me have no idea how this is activated?

There is a P button with the fog lights and Trip Mi reset button but not bothered to work it out yet
BeggarsBanquet

Quote:
I am so glad that I have found that out - this has been driving me nuts!

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James159sw View Post
What the........... I'm sure I have this but for the life of me have no idea how this is activated?

There is a P button with the fog lights and Trip Mi reset button but not bothered to work it out yet
Pull the light stalk back as if you are switching on Main beam (ignition off I think), it then comes up on the display 'coming home lights 20s' I didn't play as it was an accident but I suspect if I pulled the stalk back again it might adjust the delay time

I really should read the manual

Cheers
MC

Last edited by misterchase; 10-06-11 at 13:07. Reason: spelling
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
Quote:
I'm sure I have this but for the life of me have no idea how this is activated
just pull the stalk back as if you are flashing someone, Fiats have the same and flashing once (with the engine off) gives 30sec and i think you can a max of 2mins.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 Ti 2.0 JTDm

The P button is for parking lights. When you take the key out, just press and hold it, and your sidelights will come on
Awaiting Email Conf

County: Dorset
i discovered lots of rattles & an insatiable appetite for diesel!!
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

I discovered driveshafts made of chocolate, upper wishbones made of chocolate and red paint made of...yes you've guessed it...chocolate!
radical_plus likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
I didn't know this but I'm pleased I found it. My 159 is now MONO.
(Post Link) post #17 of 287 Old 31-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 sw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
I read that reply the other month and then went and tested my car but the mirrors didn't move when I selected reverse. But at the weekend I was moving the car and suddenly thought that the mirror would need to be set in a reverse position then memorised for my seating position - I was right!!!

Another nice little feature that I have only just worked out It only seems to work on the NS wing mirror which makes sense really but it would have been nice for both as reversing in to our garage would be better if I could see lower down for toys, bikes and children that might be in the way

On my MY2008 Lusso I found out from a Forum member that the top pad of the centre armrest could be slid forwards or backwards (not on LE models apparently) Who knew?
(Post Link) post #19 of 287 Old 31-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 sw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX159 View Post
On my MY2008 Lusso I found out from a Forum member that the top pad of the centre armrest could be slid forwards or backwards (not on LE models apparently) Who knew?
I didn't know that either but I'm sure I've tried because my wife's last 3 cars have had that - but I'll check in a couple of hours when I go home
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Yeh, it's a bit of a faff, if you go by the handbook you'll do it wrong as the manual assumes a left hand drive. When changing your wing mirrors you have a stalk to choose left, right, middle, this needs to be in the left position when you select reverse (handbook says Right), you will notice the passenger side wing mirror will point towards the floor, quite useful. It can be problematic though! Bit of a design fault really....most of the time when you reverse it's because you're parking and likely to be getting out of the car soon. The mirror only readjusts to it's normal position after about 30 seconds after disengaging reverse...by this time I have already switched the engine off and left the car....you have to then adjust the mirror manually next time you get in the car.
(Post Link) post #21 of 287 Old 01-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 sw

mine automatically moves back to the normal position. Yes it stays in a down position if I turn of the engine but as soon as I put it in 1st then the mirror starts moving up - maybe yours has an 'italian glitch'
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by degsy70 View Post
Yeh, it's a bit of a faff, if you go by the handbook you'll do it wrong as the manual assumes a left hand drive. When changing your wing mirrors you have a stalk to choose left, right, middle, this needs to be in the left position when you select reverse (handbook says Right), you will notice the passenger side wing mirror will point towards the floor, quite useful. It can be problematic though! Bit of a design fault really....most of the time when you reverse it's because you're parking and likely to be getting out of the car soon. The mirror only readjusts to it's normal position after about 30 seconds after disengaging reverse...by this time I have already switched the engine off and left the car....you have to then adjust the mirror manually next time you get in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James159sw View Post
mine automatically moves back to the normal position. Yes it stays in a down position if I turn of the engine but as soon as I put it in 1st then the mirror starts moving up - maybe yours has an 'italian glitch'
I've seen this. I think it's when you take the key out, rather than when you switch off the engine.
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTDM

I found that the hazards flash under heavy braking which was bit of a suprise, strangely enough it only seems to happen when I'm on an Alfaowners run
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
do the hazzards really flash when you brake heavy on the 159? heard of this idea before but didnt know the 159 might have them?
Nev

Heavy braking and when braking/avoidance steering at speed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159sw , feature , hidden , list , surprise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page