Hidden surprise feature on my 159sw - list yours here - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 13Likes

AO Member

County: East Sussex
I have an aftermarket stereo, so I don't have the option of pressing the volume button to turn on the stereo without having the key in. Until my three year old daughter discovered that if you poke your finger in the key fob hole it turns on the stereo. You then need to put the key in and pull it out again to turn it off.

She also discovered the sliding arm rest!

Her other discovery was that if you kick the rear air vents hard enough, they WILL break!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
That little dobbin in the middle of the dash at the front (looks like an old style IR remote sensor), apparently it is part of the climate control! It supposedly measures the solar radiation in the vehicle and the angle at which the rays hit the passenger compartment. It then adjusts the climate control to compensate for this.
Strange as with previous cars I always had to adjust the climate control temperature in winter and summer (with the sun beaming on me, it was always lower), but not with the 159.
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburch View Post

Her other discovery was that if you kick the rear air vents hard enough, they WILL break!
The same happens on the 156!!
Grr kids who would have thrm

AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
That little dobbin in the middle of the dash at the front (looks like an old style IR remote sensor), apparently it is part of the climate control! It supposedly measures the solar radiation in the vehicle and the angle at which the rays hit the passenger compartment. It then adjusts the climate control to compensate for this.
Strange as with previous cars I always had to adjust the climate control temperature in winter and summer (with the sun beaming on me, it was always lower), but not with the 159.
The 156 has this too, if you look behind the mirror you might find the windscreen mist sensor. The rain sensor is bonded to the glass. You also have a pollutant sensor in the climate control's intake for the automatic re-circulation feature (red A on the re-circulate button).
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Figured you can 'tell' the cruise control how fast to resume a preset speed. If it's set at 70 and you're cruising at a steady 50, pressing resume will gradually accelerate it to 70. If you accelerate hard and press resume, it'll maintain the acceleration until it hits 70.

Nice touch!
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete McK View Post
Figured you can 'tell' the cruise control how fast to resume a preset speed. If it's set at 70 and you're cruising at a steady 50, pressing resume will gradually accelerate it to 70. If you accelerate hard and press resume, it'll maintain the acceleration until it hits 70.

Nice touch!
What did you think the 'resume' button did before?

If someone could tell me how to partially switch off the cruise control without using the brake or clutch (or switching off the cruise control, losing the preset speed mentioned), that would be great, it's a small anoyance!
AO Member

County: Somerset
Quote:

If someone could tell me how to partially switch off the cruise control without using the brake or clutch (or switching off the cruise control, losing the preset speed mentioned), that would be great, it's a small anoyance!
I think he's saying he knows it will resume but the rate it gets to the set speed can be adjusted by a sharp acceleration just prior to pressing resume. I agree with your small annoyance though, either brake lights coming on unecessarily and I find the clutch method gets the engine racing for a couple of seconds before the cruise control cuts off and that is irritating and can't be good for the clutch.
Club Member

Quote:

slightly lifting/engaging the handbrake so it "beeps" also disables cruise.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by handful View Post
I think he's saying he knows it will resume but the rate it gets to the set speed can be adjusted by a sharp acceleration just prior to pressing resume. I agree with your small annoyance though, either brake lights coming on unecessarily and I find the clutch method gets the engine racing for a couple of seconds before the cruise control cuts off and that is irritating and can't be good for the clutch.
Spot on. Actually I thought it might draft me a Curriculum Vitae, but this answer looks less silly

You can disengage the cruise control by pushing the clutch pedal about 1/2", as long as it operates the pedal switch. Should be enough to disengage without slipping the clutch.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Ahh, got you! I take back my sarcasm and wear the dunces hat!
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
I learnt that even without activating them and in 30 degree heat on a bright and sunny day my auto wipers will still try and clear the non-existent rain from my screen, regardless of any control input to try and stop them doing otherwise!!

god it's good to be back in an Alfa
AO Member

County: Hampshire
The cruise control idea makes sense.

My cruise accelerated like a fiend once, but I'd never been able to get it to do it again since, must try this.

I disengage the cruise by just lightly touching the brake pedal,not enough to apply the pads to the disks but enough to turn the brake light on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artermis View Post
I learnt that even without activating them and in 30 degree heat on a bright and sunny day my auto wipers will still try and clear the non-existent rain from my screen, regardless of any control input to try and stop them doing otherwise!!

god it's good to be back in an Alfa
Column switch is probably intermittent. It should not wipe until you turn auto off and then on again, then it will wipe once regardless of whether there is water or not.

Last edited by Biggles146; 13-07-13 at 16:01.
AO Member

County: -
The Cruise control can be deactivated by pressing the RES button and pressing the cruise arm down wards (deaccelerate) at the same time in about a second. No brake or clutch . The only down side is that the "last speed" is reset...
Global Mod Team

County: Lancashire
Garage
Must be different depending on the year of the car? On mine 06, I switch on the cruise, set the speed by lifting the lever, if I brake to slow down then I press the memory button and it resumes the previous set speed.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.o View Post
Must be different depending on the year of the car? On mine 06, I switch on the cruise, set the speed by lifting the lever, if I brake to slow down then I press the memory button and it resumes the previous set speed.
That is no different from my 2011. A lot of questions are to wether or not it is possible to deactivate without using the clutch or brake - and the answer to that is "yes" (at least in my 159 ). Hold the RES button and lower the lever at same time and the cruise control will deactivate.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Although I've read the manual a number of times, I haven't got a clue how to operate the cruise control. Every time I use it it seems different.

Character, I believe we call it
AO Member

County: Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles146 View Post
You also have a pollutant sensor in the climate control's intake for the automatic re-circulation feature (red A on the re-circulate button).
So what it does mean when the following happens:
ONLY red A illuminated red
ONLY outer ring of button illuminated, and
BOTH red A and outer ring illuminated
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblood1995 View Post
I have figured the following but could be way off the mark :-

ONLY red A illuminated - AUTO MODE BUT NOT CURRENTLY RECIRCULATING
ONLY outer ring of button illuminated, - MANUAL MODE AND CURRENTLY RECIRCULATING
BOTH red A and outer ring illuminated - AUTO MODE AND CURRENTLY RECIRCULATING
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandal View Post
That is no different from my 2011. A lot of questions are to wether or not it is possible to deactivate without using the clutch or brake - and the answer to that is "yes" (at least in my 159 ). Hold the RES button and lower the lever at same time and the cruise control will deactivate.
I was trying pressing the RES button and then down on the cruise but this didnt work. I'll try again pressing each simultaneously. I usually pull the handbrake if I want to disable quickly without setting off my brake lights. Hoping this will work
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
I was trying pressing the RES button and then down on the cruise but this didnt work. I'll try again pressing each simultaneously. I usually pull the handbrake if I want to disable quickly without setting off my brake lights. Hoping this will work
I tried it this morning (pressing RES and lever down at same time) and it works like a charm, I've tended to tap the brake pedal slightly to cut the cruise out.
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
I've tried a few of these on my 58 reg:

Can't shove the armrest, no biggie, nearly broke it trying though!

Found 'follow me' lights, although I always reverse on my drive, so a tad pointless.

Good to know about the cruise cancel using stalk, no more tapping the brakes!

I owned mine for about 3 months before I found that the mirrors fold on the button. Also took about that long for me to find the small compartment in the armrest.
AO Member

County: Bayern
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblood1995 View Post
Well my interpretation of the manual:
Nothing on = no recirculation whatsoever
Red Ring = Forced recirculation
Red Ring + Red A = Forced recirculation with fresh air let in based on sensor feedback

Only Red A = No clue how automatic recirculation would work here though
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
It needs to be done simultaneously - and hold it in 1-2 seconds.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemancometh View Post
Well my interpretation of the manual:
Nothing on = no recirculation whatsoever
Red Ring = Forced recirculation
Red Ring + Red A = Forced recirculation with fresh air let in based on sensor feedback

Only Red A = No clue how automatic recirculation would work here though
The thing to remember here is that Climate Control will do most things automatically. If you intervene the 'Auto' light goes out and you are on your own. If you come up behind one of those diesel buddies who have removed their DPF you might want to intervene quickly and press the 'Recirculation' button. The red 'A' will go out, the red ring will come on and the display stops showing 'Auto'. Once you have passed the diesel just pushing the 'Auto' button returns control to the system. 'Auto' is displayed, the red ring goes out and the red 'A' will light up in the middle of the button.

Sometimes the system will put on the recirculation itself. This will show as a red ring and a red 'A'.
AO Member

County: Bayern
makes sense..

I always disable it unless it is running on full auto.. prefer fresh polluted air to stale air in the car..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159sw , feature , hidden , list , surprise