Hidden surprise feature on my 159sw - list yours here - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 18Likes

AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixitSan View Post
I get the error message if I wait too long before inserting the key after I pressed start. It does work if I press start just before I put the key in.
There was maybe 1 or 2 seconds max between pressing the button and putting the key in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 TBi ti

Got a 10 plate tbi ti on Saturday, these features surprised me:
- Courtesy lights under the doors.
- Trip C (took me a while to work out that Trip A and Trip B weren't broken).
- Hill holder, I know it existed, but not that I had it.
- The rear badge is a button to open the boot (only with independent boot turned off).
- THERE IS A FRIDGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemaster View Post
Not really a surprise feature, but my 10-plate SW has an "off" button on the aircon unit where my 57-plate spider had a MASSIVELY more useful "mono" button... Some kind soul on here mentioned that holding down the "auto" button on the drivers side does the same trick...
Oh my god thank you! I miss the mono button from my 156.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoney View Post
If you hold down the interior light button it will just turn the rear one on
That's cool, the double tap seems to be what enables/disables lights on when you pull the key out, rear light fades up and down once to confirm this action, for whoever it was got it stuck off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoney View Post
I noticed that the grab handles on the inside above the doors are those soft close sort. Nice.
Amused me too, had found this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixitSan View Post
Sorry if this is a repeat, but I thought it was a nice touch.

You have to press the brake or clutch before pressing start
- press the brake and you have to hold the start button in until the car starts
- press the clutch and you can let go of the start button and the car continues to crank until it starts by itself !
Wow? I actually don't like starter buttons that do it for you, less like a racing car.

To those that can't get the dropping near-side mirror to work, when you set up your seat memory, put it in reverse and drop the near-side mirror. From now on your profile should drop the mirror for you.

Hazard lights, work with the emergency brake assist, if you brake hard then back off, it will keep the brakes on VERY hard until you stop or let the brakes off nearly all the way. This is because some people were scared by the ABS juddering the pedal and would back off, then crash.

Edit:
Does anyone know how to actually edit the custom equaliser on the stereo?

146 1.6 TS -> 156 2.5 V6 24V 209bhp -> 159 TBi ti 227bhp
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Use Search and ye shall find!
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-settings.html

I advised some settings on page 7 of this thread!

AO Member

County: Surrey
Garage

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Discovered on a spare armrest lid that I'm working on has a screw underneath the lid that once turned allows the lid to slide forward but if turned back locks it!

I don't know if anyone that couldn't get it to move maybe look out for the screw to turn? (Quite large and can't be missed) can't see the advantage of moving it forward? Seems just to get in the way of gear shifts?
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
On the Brake/Clutch press to start subject, does anyone think that it could be for safety reasons??
Clutch in, doesn't matter if the car is in gear or not so it can keep cranking.
Brake in, if the car is left in gear and it tries to start (and continues cranking on its own) you could be off down the road or damaging the starter motor!
Just my 2 pennies
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

159 Sportwagon

sounds logical to me Josh
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
Garage
Just found out during MOT. Cannot open fuel filler cap whilst engine is running...
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfadisiac View Post
Just found out during MOT. Cannot open fuel filler cap whilst engine is running...
Or the boot, don't think it is part of the autolock feature (the doors auto lock above a set speed (same speed the seatbelt chimes in I think)
AO Member

County: Devon
Nice thread members. Like the Mono setting and my arm rest with a little force now slides forward. Pity the windows won't close and the mirrors close off the key fob as per my last 2 cars.

Query.... as this seems to be available on the Brera/Spider I would assume (wrongly probably) they would essentially have the same car computer controlling everything. I don't know if this is possible but if you could search through the various settings within this computer using the ECUscan programme would you not find and be able to activate global closing if it was an deactivated option ?

Just I remember when you could unlock early dvd players to multi region as the manufacturing companies just set them to the region they were marketed in.

Last edited by Waquer159; 11-04-13 at 19:09. Reason: Sudden thought.
AO Member

County: Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu007 View Post
Discovered on a spare armrest lid that I'm working on has a screw underneath the lid that once turned allows the lid to slide forward but if turned back locks it!

I don't know if anyone that couldn't get it to move maybe look out for the screw to turn? (Quite large and can't be missed) can't see the advantage of moving it forward? Seems just to get in the way of gear shifts?
Any chance of the photo of the screw? There's a bolt there but I turn it and push the top of the arm rest as suggested in this thread to no avail. Cannot get it to budge.

For those that have the alarm, press the button in front of the passenger courtesy light button when turning the car off disables the internal sensors but leave the motion detection on. Good if you want to leave windows open with pet in the car!

Last edited by bonebones; 12-04-13 at 13:36.
AO Member

Member car:

159 TBi ti

When you remove the key, quickly replace it and remove it again. "Steering will not lock".
tarzan likes this.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

159 Sportwagon

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a situation similar to "accessory" with the ignition on.

I can only figure out either all on including the ignition and engine management system or nothing.
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agisalfisti View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to get a situation similar to "accessory" with the ignition on.

I can only figure out either all on including the ignition and engine management system or nothing.
If you just want the head unit to stay on, put key in ignition then turn ignition off by pressing start stop button WITHOUT pressing brake or clutch. HU will then stay on for 30 minutes then power off automatically.
AO Member

County: Worcestershire

Member car:

159SW 1.9JTDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfadisiac View Post
If you just want the head unit to stay on, put key in ignition then turn ignition off by pressing start stop button WITHOUT pressing brake or clutch. HU will then stay on for 30 minutes then power off automatically.
You can just press the power on on the stereo without the key in and it will stay on for 15minutes.
AO Member

Garage
My surprise recently was braking hard on the motorway the other day and the hazards came on this was on the Brera but probably the same with the 159 :-)
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkey View Post
My surprise recently was braking hard on the motorway the other day and the hazards came on this was on the Brera but probably the same with the 159 :-)
You're not the first to notice!

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...d-braking.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ke-signal.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ard-light.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ndicators.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...n-brera-s.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ke-assist.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...annoyance.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...n-brera-s.html

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu007 View Post

This big plastic screw is about the size of a 5p piece and it's actually for removing the armrest pad rather than moving it.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchen View Post
That's a lot of people noticing the same thing... And a lot of useless threads!
Ha, most of this thread would be redundant if people read the manual!
gibot123 and CaroDroopy like this.
AO Silver Member

Yes, but it's 546 pages and blokes are genetically predisposed to not read the instructions
BoltfromtheBlue likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Ha, most of this thread would be redundant if people read the manual!
This may be another one and I haven't ploughed through all 8 pages, and it's about the saloon and not the SW.........Anyway, did you know that the saloon has a grab handle or slot on the inside of the boot lid so you can close it on a muddy day and keep your hands clean.
AO Member

County: Vorarlberg
Bought mine from italy and since the options were italian i did not look too closely and simply inspected the car. Considering i had the same until i crashed it i knew what i wanted.

The Good: After 3 months ownership i found out that my mirrors can be retracted electrically (nice).

The Bad: Bought with lovely 18 inch Alfa turbine rims on wintertires and aftermarked 18 inch summer rims. When i fitted the summer rims i found out that they only fit with spacers because of the brakes. The seller told me that when i bought it. What he forgot to tell me: The wheels come out so far that it is illegal and even worse the tires will rub when the car is loaded.

I allways wanted the 19 inch TI rims anyways though and they just got delivered 1 hour ago.
AO Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrewett View Post
This may be another one and I haven't ploughed through all 8 pages, and it's about the saloon and not the SW.........Anyway, did you know that the saloon has a grab handle or slot on the inside of the boot lid so you can close it on a muddy day and keep your hands clean.
The SW has that too. I always go for it on hire cars and other peoples cars and I'm nearl always disappointed by it's abscence. Mind you the earlier SW's boot badge won't open the boot so you get mucky hands opening the thing anyway.
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
I soooooo wish the windows could be shut from the keyfob in the same way they can be lowered!! Would be so handy for days like today - any chance of getting this over-ridden?? I know it'll be security incase your' child has it's head out the window or something, but I have no children!! and I care not for others!
AO Silver Member

Garage
Don't think it can (something about leaving the kids in the car and chopping their arms off). But opening the windows on the way to a car parked in the sun really does help lower the temperature before you get in and gives the aircon that less work to do.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159sw , feature , hidden , list , surprise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page