Hidden surprise feature on my 159sw - list yours here - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 18Likes

County: -

Member car:

My mirror doesn't go down when I go in reverse. And the armrest doesn't move
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
my armrest moves, can't wait til after work so i can get out and try the reversing mirror trick

mine's on a 57 plate. oh, and it doesn't keep cranking on one push of the starter button, i have to keep it pressed until the engine catches
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixitSan View Post
My armrest required a hell of a shove to get it to go the first time. It's only the padded top that moves, nothing more.

You may need electric seats for the mirror trick...?

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Lancashire
I'm gonna try the mirror trick when I leave for home as well

Should my armrest move
AO Member

County: Porto
Quote:
The start on clutch disengages a lot of mass from the engine, so there is less of a 'flywheel' to smooth it out. Maybe thats the effect you feel ?
Sorry, but iīve miss understood... in your opinion is better to start the car with the clutch?

What i feel is after the car started (just experienced this at lunch). The car starts normally (clutch ou brake start) but as soon the engine is running, the first seconds (about 5 sec) are very jumpy, with the revs not behaving normally... it seems that chokes a litlle and then stabilizes.

The EGR was changed under warranty last week and in the first days, everything normal. Now it seems itīs getting worst...

But sorry the OT, letīs maintain the useful features of our 159

P.S: Any ideia of my problem, PM me
AO Member

Quote:
Same here...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agisalfisti View Post
Two useful bits of info. Just tried my Lusso and the nearside mirror drops if the mirror stalk is turned to the left and reverse is engaged and I've also tried the moving centre armrest. That slides forward as well

The 159 is even better perfect now
Ive tried mine and it doesnt drop the mirror...but like has been said maybe you have to electric memory seats, which does the mirrors as well, for this feature to work ?

2006 56 plate 1.9 JTD Lusso

Lee

Member car:

For some stupid reason i made a video of my 159 autocranking when the clutch pedal is pushed down !

Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm autocranking - YouTube
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Not sure most of these features are 'hidden' most are clearly in the manual! There is another tips and tricks thread somewhere with some of these in.

For wing mirror dip, you do need electric seats.

The arm rest moving forward in there too, but definitely a good tip/ trick to lift it up 45deg ( assumed it had been removed as a feature as mine 'wouldn't' move).

The hazards come on if you press the brakes hard enough to engage brake assist.

As for the clutch/ brake different start, can confirm this on my '58 plate. It's always good practice to start with clutch as mentioned (less weight/ stress / power needed on starter motor). Sure there are reasons you might just want to turn it over a bit.
What happens if the engine is not catching, does it just continue cranking? When it's been cold it does crank for longer (though now I know to put keys in and wait for 'starting instructions' to let the glow plugs work).

Sure some people will have missed it, but there is a hook on the fuel filler door to hook the cap on when you fuel and stop it dripping/ scratching the paint work!
walshe25 likes this.

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian
AO Member

Quote:
For some stupid reason i made a video of my 159 autocranking when the clutch pedal is pushed down !

Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm autocranking - YouTube
lol

I just didnīt understood youīr point back: is it equal to use clutch or brake to crank?

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrevez View Post
lol

I just didnīt understood youīr point back: is it equal to use clutch or brake to crank?
No it's different on mine...presing clutch the car cranks until it starts all by itself after a momentary push of start. With the brake down i have to hold start button until the engine fires.

I think either way works but in all other cars with start buttons I've used I prefer to start with the clutch down
AO Rosso Alfa Member

No folding mirros for me
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

2.0 JTDM 159

Can someone post a picture of the 'moving armrest' nearly punched myself in the face trying, and after some serious inspection I can't see HOW or WHERE it would move?
AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wopa View Post
Can someone post a picture of the 'moving armrest' nearly punched myself in the face trying, and after some serious inspection I can't see HOW or WHERE it would move?
See post 9 on here.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...9-wIko_ItfjSfQ

PS:- mine slides.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

2.0 JTDM 159

Thanks for that, I'll give it another go.

How much is a new centre console when I rip it off?
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.0JTDm SW

My armrest moves,
My car doesn;t keep turning over if I press the clutch instead of the brake,
My mirror doesn;t move if I put it in reverse,

I 'LOVE' the fact that I can turn off a fair few of the red dash lights (and I didn't know about the up/down on the left stalk for dash brightness, that sbeen bugging me for weeks)

Many thanks eveyone.

(It's most comfy for me to have the armrest in it's default position, but I'm so glad I tried to move it as I can now clean all the gunk out from under it, a dirty spot I didn't know existed, now it'll take me an extra 5 mins to clean the car at weekend, the Wife will be sooooo pleased that it now takes me over 3 hours to hoover my car out and only 15 mins to wash and hoover her Landy)
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
This is the other thread with Tips and Tricks on, just reading the first page, ones I want to try:
  • enter the car, press the start button and the engine will start when you insert the key
  • unlocking the boot and then quickly unlocking the rest of the car opens everything up without the 'beep'
  • If you use the windscreen wash, pulling the stalk towards you again twice in quick succession cancels the wipers (useful in these winters when the washer jets freeze and you get wiper-judder over a bone-dry, salt-covered screen)
  • If you press the main light switch in the roof console twice, quite rapidly, it only turns on the lights in the rear of the car not the front
  • All the standard equaliser settings on the standard 159 stereo are pants, 'Commanderfish' suggested the follow user settings which I found to make the system sound so much better:
    Band (hertz): 64 160 400 1K 2.5K 5?K 10?K
    Adjustment: 0 -1 +1 -1 -2 +2 +2 (or 0 -1 0 -1 -1 +1 +1)

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...nd-tricks.html
Daytona likes this.

Last edited by giblets46; 16-11-12 at 08:12.
AO Member

Wehay I get full opening and fullclosing of the windows from the key

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
This is the other thread with Tips and Tricks on, just reading the first page, ones I want to try:
  • enter the car, press the start button and the engine will start when you insert the key
  • unlocking the boot and then quickly unlocking the rest of the car opens everything up without the 'beep'
  • If you use the windscreen wash, pulling the stalk towards you again twice in quick succession cancels the wipers (useful in these winters when the washer jets freeze and you get wiper-judder over a bone-dry, salt-covered screen)
  • If you press the main light switch in the roof console twice, quite rapidly, it only turns on the lights in the rear of the car not the front
  • All the standard equaliser settings on the standard 159 stereo are pants, 'Commanderfish' suggested the follow user settings which I found to make the system sound so much better:
    Band (hertz): 64 160 400 1K 2.5K 5?K 10?K
    Adjustment: 0 -1 +1 -1 -2 +2 +2 (or 0 -1 0 -1 -1 +1 +1)

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...nd-tricks.html
Some good ones there that I didn't discover when I had my 159. I like the cancel wipers idea.

Re previous posts:

Confirming that mirror drop is ONLY on cars with electric memory seats

Autocrank - yes if the car fails to fire the cranking goes on ...... and on ....... and on - until you press the start button again, when it stops. Found this out when a diesel tuning box went "open circuit" on me.

Sliding armrest was on MY2008 Lusso, possibly not on Turismo (?) and not on the 159LE.

Flashing hazards on braking I think came in with the Q2e "electronic differential" on MY2008 cars and later.

And Morty - you are lucky to have one of those, most UK cars only drop the windows and not raise them, thanks to Elf n Safety. Certainly not on MY2008 UK cars unless you reset the country to something like Australia.
AO Silver Member

My windows go both up and down of the fob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy1 View Post
My windows go both up and down of the fob.
What age is your car?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX159 View Post
What age is your car?
2006 lusso
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
...enter the car, press the start button and the engine will start when you insert the key...
This might only be on cars with autocrank. Mine just says 'key not recognised' if I try this - 2006 2.4 Lusso.

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete McK View Post
This might only be on cars with autocrank. Mine just says 'key not recognised' if I try this - 2006 2.4 Lusso.

I get the error message if I wait too long before inserting the key after I pressed start. It does work if I press start just before I put the key in.

Member car:

My interior lights don't come on when I remove the key now, after following the tips and tricks about double clicking the interior light switch. I think I held it down for 2 seconds after which the dash beeped. I don't mind it off, but can't seem to get it to revert back to how it used to be.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159sw , feature , hidden , list , surprise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page