Beware if you have front mudflaps - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 04-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Glasgow
Beware if you have front mudflaps

A word of caution to those of you have front mudflaps.

OK. The mudflaps are held to the wheelarch using edge clips. Through time, a few of them have fallen off, so I purchased some new ones to fit. Today I decided to fit them, but when I removed the old clips I noticed ( could feel with my fingers) the inner part of the wheelarch (the bit you cant see) the paint had come away due to the barbed parts of the clips.

Using a dentist style mirror this was confirmed. Also it was noticed that the leading edge of the sill had a tiny bit of surface rust due to the mudflap holding the muck & grit against.

I have treated both with some Bilt Hamber Hydrate rust converter & re coated with hamerite. Once the hamerite has fully cured I will refit the clips, and cover the affected areas with cavity wax. I think you really only need one 3/4 the way up. The clips will be modified to remove the barbs.

I fitted the mudflaps to the car just after I bought it. They are genuine Alfa parts. If they had been fitted by the dealer, I would think I had a case under warranty.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

beware , front , mudflaps