Disaster Averted! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 20-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thumbs Up Disaster Averted!

Thought I'd wait for success before posting my problem.

2 weeks ago driving my 159 to work and hearing a high-pitched whine under acceleration Get to work and park accompanied by slight burning smell from front of car Finish work at end of day - jump in - car starts with big shudder and it's in limp home mode - try to pull away but cuts out and after several more attempts it's clear it's not drivable and I need help.

Following day arrange with dealer for car to be checked over and the AA confirm they will transport the car. AA come out to check over and after a lot of messing about get the car started at normal power. Nothing shows on diagnostics. So they say they will drive it to dealer for me to get checked out further but then the car just won't start at all!! So later that day car gets loaded on pickup and off it goes to dealer with me in fear and trepidation of what they will find!

Now the good bits.
Thankfully, in January I had taken out a 4th year extended warranty with AlfaCare and the dealer who now had my car had a good relationship with them. So the day after being taken in the dealer was on the phone to me with a diagnosis:
  • Seized water pump
  • Slipping cambelt
  • Cylinder Head Gasket gone

BUT AlfaCare had already agreed to cover the full cost - no arguments and not even an inspection needed by them first

After initial work began the dealer found a couple more issues, with rockers and the sealing gasket but again AlfaCare covered the full cost.

Finally picked up my Alfa on Wednesday evening fully repaired (new water pump, new cambelt, new belt tensioner new rockers, gaskets and seals) and better than ever.

So a big thumbs up to AlfaCare and an even bigger one to:
Kinghams of Croydon and Philip Bull who did an fantastic job and offer excellent service. I would recommend anyone to take their car to Kinghams based on this experience.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 TBi Ti

Nice to read a positive story! Glad it worked out well for you and well done to the dealer and AlfaCare!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

averted , disaster