Hard drive space and B&M - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 18-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Hard drive space and B&M

Hi all,

Having been unable to update my B&M to 5.5 in order to play media from my IPhone, i have decided to go for the trusty "external hard drive in the glovebox" solution. However, i seem to remember reading somewhere on here (can't seem to find it now though) that B&M has trouble reading drives at the higher end of the storage spectrum for some reason?

I'm just wondering what is the largest drive people have running on their B&M systems? I'm looking at 200gb drives as I have quite a vast collection of music and it would be nice to have it all in one place.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
I think that will confuse the 'indexing' system. I have a 4GB stick in mine and it took ages (over an hour) before it would play anything. And now it always defaults to media player on restarting and ignores that it was playing the radio at switch off.

Another 'feature' is that even with the stick out the display shows the last track playing before it was switched to radio. And days after its removal with several journeys using the radio it still shows that last track.
Most drives are preformatted in NFTS

B&M needs FAT formatted.

The windows disk format program cannot format >32GB
for FAT drives under Windows XP/Vista/7.

So you need to use another method to format it.

More details in the ICE/B&M Lounge.

Last edited by Nev; 18-05-11 at 18:33.
AO Member
County: -
Just format via command line or a third party utility.
Sure the blue me forums have the answer
I'm sure google will if they don't.

Good point on indexing / reading initially as it's not a quick system from what I've seen.
My iPod works a treat but good thought on the hard drive. Wll kep it in mind if I have to upscale the iPod / iPhone.
AO Member
County: Dorset
I've got a 16GB memory stick and B&M had a fit when fully loaded. Needed to strip out a fair amount of stuff to get it to work.

It still has a wobble with playlists occasionally, saying it's playing one track but actually playing something entirely different.

Ian A.
AO Platinum Member
County: Cheshire
I've got a 32GB USB stick in my current 159, about 80% full. Only occassionally has it had a wobble and I have had to remove it and then put in back in again to 'rebuild' the library. On those occassions it got stuck on one artist and didn't recognise anything else on the stick. Sure hope it works as well when I change cars...............

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

bandm , drive , hard , space