Brera 2.4JTDM Power Steering Query - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Brera 2.4JTDM Power Steering Query

Hi all!

First post and just a quick query as I've read about people having problems with the Brera power steering and 'whirring' noises.

I'm probably being paranoid - when at slow speed or idle, I can hear a faint whirring noise on turning the wheel and wondered at how loud this noise is before I should be worried? I assume the PAS mechanism would make a noise to some extent?

I've checked the fluid level in PAS (I think! Is this PA66 screwcap?) The marker was just over minimum and is red in colour.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
County: Ontario

Member car:

alfa romeo brera

Brera power steering

Hi there Andy!

I was just wondering if you found out what was the noise in the steering wheel and did you fix it?

I have the same noise on my 2006 2.4JTDM Brera
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

159 1.9JTDM

This is a common issue with the 159, and i'm guessing may have similar traits for the Brera.

if you do a search, you should fine some topics which may advise better than I can!

Is it a loud whine? Mine whines a little, thats after having my pump reconditioned. Prior to this, it was howling like a dog! I have the RED fluid too... and from speaking to various people, its not solely down to the colour of the fluid, so don't panic.

May be best to find a good local independent garage to have a check over .... sooner rather than later!
AO Silver Member
County: Buckinghamshire
I had mine substituted and a new overflow tank installed, IIRC quite a batch of the initial Breras and 159s were given the wrong power steering fluid, and this caused the issues.
Hi all,

yes in at the dealers at the moment getting a few things done under warranty. With the steering, a slip ring has gone which is being replaced as is the PS fluid.

Have no idea what a slipring is!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

24jtdm , brera , power , query , steering