novice oil burner.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Ok, good to see that it's not all bad news.
1. The pump whine would start after a few miles and was only really noticable when stationary, the whine would vary but this was due to the loose item inside the reservoir moving around and blocking the return and inlet pipes to the reservoir.
2. I put in Red fluid as that is what was already in the system, but reading on the forum the red/yellow issue is confusing. I did read that the 3.2 engine uses the yellow and the others use the red. This topic has got worse due to dealers replacing red fluid due to not knowing themselves.
3. I got the reservoir from a local Alfa parts centre(Alan Gibson - Basingstoke) for £29.92, part number= f0050507184, they had to ring Alfa/Fiat as the tank is not listed on EPER.
4. Once the resonator(part of the air inlet system on the engine) was removed, the reservoir was unbolted and drained with a syringe. Once the tank was off the lines were emptied as much as possible.
5. Any finally....yes jubilee clips would be fine, but don't overtighten as they might cut into the hose.
Cheers and good luck.