My "TI" lookalike project and some recomendations - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

Awaiting Email Conf

County: Dorset
perksy, how is your car now after the re-remap?

nandesuka, did you go through with the remap @ motormech?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Hi Bungers,
See my thread Yippee maybe.
Perhaps it's just me as I said 'cos on going out this morning it def does feel more quick. This is the first DT I've had, so am more used to getting a quick response when you press the go fast lever. However, if you're in the right gear the response is immediate and "quite kwik". I had a Golf td try to lose me. At junctions you get the concertina effect, but he gave up after a few of them to see me in his mirror not long after he left a stop. As Perksy said, it does pull like a train, but only I think if you're in the right gear as the revs clime dead quick and you have to change to match.
Of course the only way to check if you've got more umph from the remap is to stick it on a rolling road. Perhaps we could get a meet at a place to check what the cars are actually delivering after the remaps, whoever did it. If there were a few of us we might get a discount. Would love to organise one , but there ar a couple of things.
1/ I couldn't organise a p*** up in a brewery.
2/ I don't know any rolling roads.
3/ Oh yes, I couldn't organise a p** up in a brewery.
As a ps, Absolutely **** myself this morning. Pulled out of Tescos onto the duel carraigeway. Changed gear and then put my foot over the clutch. Wasn't there! Peda! clutch! pedal! where? At the bottom of it's travel. God I felt naked without the clutch. Hazards on and pulled in. Pumped. cursed. I didn't have my mobile with me so no AA. Remembered something about a thread on here. Reached down, pulled up the pedal and OMG I can change gear and MOVE. Thank you AO.

Last edited by nandesuka; 10-06-11 at 17:20.
(Post Link) post #103 of 134 Old 10-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Hi Mate.

Yes, I thought about a rolling road test.

I found this place a while back which look like they know what they're doing.

www.midlandvw.co.uk/rolling_road.html

James

Last edited by perksy; 10-06-11 at 18:27.
Awaiting Email Conf

Quote:
Originally Posted by perksy View Post
Hi Mate.

Yes, I thought about a rolling road test.

I found this place a while back which look like they know what they're doing.

Rolling Road

James

James, how is your's now?
(Post Link) post #105 of 134 Old 10-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungers View Post
James, how is your's now?
Its going well mate.

I still need to get Motormech to re remap it (to include the EGR delete). I've got a EGR blanking plate in place at the moment to keep my new inlet manifold nice and clean (along with a engine check light on the dash) but that will all be sorted with the remap update.

I've had a bit of a shake on the car since I had the 19" wheels on. I thought I'd better get the balancing checked. Wow - one wheel was 120g out of balance and the rest weren't far behind. 120g is two huge 6" long bars of weights! They also discovered that the Pirelli Pzero Nero tyres that are on are all slightly "out of round!". You could see the surface of the tyre going up and down as the wheels were spun on the balancing machine. No wonder it was a little shaky.

So I've ordered a new set of tyres (Accelera) and the wheels will be in for refurbishing next week. Got a good price on the Acceleras as well - 92 each fitted inc vat.

The thing I'm not looking forward to is putting the original 17" wheels back on now I've lowered the car and put the skirts on. I'll look like a chavvy Corsa owner who's fitted a bodykit but can't afford to change the wheels!

James

(Post Link) post #106 of 134 Old 20-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just picked up my refurbished wheels today. Just 30 each for their lacquered chrome finish. Not actually exactly like chrome - more like highly polished aluminium. The finish is absolutely perfect. Beautiful.

I think its a bit of a bargain for 120 all in. A local refurbisher quoted me 345 for a simple flat silver finish. No chance!

Just got to get my new tyres fitted tomorrow. I've sourced some Acceleras at 92 each inc valve, fitting, balancing and VAT. Can't wait!

Next on the list (when I've saved up again) is a proper alignment by PCA dynamics to make the car handle as well as it drives and to try and avoid the inner edge tyre wear.

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f70f8c6c.jpg (125.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 4107c463.jpg (133.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 0578811f.jpg (128.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg d1e63d01.jpg (110.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 84c388ed.jpg (110.2 KB, 44 views)
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Wow. That is a fantastic looking finish!

Where did you get them done in the end?

Will look out for you on the expressway in the morninngs, as the sun blinds other drivers reflecting off your wheels!
(Post Link) post #108 of 134 Old 20-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynne71 View Post
Wow. That is a fantastic looking finish!

Where did you get them done in the end?

Will look out for you on the expressway in the morninngs, as the sun blinds other drivers reflecting off your wheels!
Yes, get your shades on lol.

City Powder Coaters Ltd. Birmingham. 0121 448 7646.

Rubbish website but excellent work. I've used them before and I would highly recommend!
They're about 100m from Millenium Point in the centre of Birmingham so dead easy to find.

James

County: West Midlands
Hi James did you get egr switched off from Motormech? Im considering getting mine done from there...
AO Member

County: Lancashire
That finish is amazing and all for 30 quid a wheel, you cant beat that
AO Member

Hi Perksy,

Your wheels look stunning. I'm thinking of getting my four 19" refurbed and will be working for a few days in Birmingham in a month or so, so will definitely look into using these guys. I can't tell from the close up pictures - is the lacquered chrome finish meant to be like the original Alfa finish on the TI wheels? If not, do you know if they can do that finish? I'd like to keep my wheels looking stock ideally.

Cheers,
Toby
(Post Link) post #112 of 134 Old 28-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi Toby.

Thanks, I'm really loving the wheels. I've just been waxing them this evening (how sad am I!?). They look quite chrome-y and go very well with the door handles and chrome mirror backs.

They do loads and loads of finishes. They have sample wheels of each finish for you to look at in the workshop (actually more of an industrial unit) and I'm sure they'll have something to match a stock finish.

James
AO Member

Hi James, thanks for your quick response.

Haha don't worry, people who say it's sad just don't understand! That's great, I think I'll definitely go with these guys then - such a great price.

Look forward to seeing some pictures of them on the car.

Cheers,
Toby
Awaiting Email Conf

James,

Have you got your EGR issue resolved yet? I'm cautious about getting mine done @ Motormech if you are still having issues. Think I may just go the whole hog & get AHM to do it as I havent seen anyone complain about them.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: england
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandesuka View Post
Hi Bungers,
See my thread Yippee maybe.
Perhaps it's just me as I said 'cos on going out this morning it def does feel more quick. This is the first DT I've had, so am more used to getting a quick response when you press the go fast lever. However, if you're in the right gear the response is immediate and "quite kwik". I had a Golf td try to lose me. At junctions you get the concertina effect, but he gave up after a few of them to see me in his mirror not long after he left a stop. As Perksy said, it does pull like a train, but only I think if you're in the right gear as the revs clime dead quick and you have to change to match.
Of course the only way to check if you've got more umph from the remap is to stick it on a rolling road. Perhaps we could get a meet at a place to check what the cars are actually delivering after the remaps, whoever did it. If there were a few of us we might get a discount. Would love to organise one , but there ar a couple of things.
1/ I couldn't organise a p*** up in a brewery.
2/ I don't know any rolling roads.
3/ Oh yes, I couldn't organise a p** up in a brewery.
As a ps, Absolutely **** myself this morning. Pulled out of Tescos onto the duel carraigeway. Changed gear and then put my foot over the clutch. Wasn't there! Peda! clutch! pedal! where? At the bottom of it's travel. God I felt naked without the clutch. Hazards on and pulled in. Pumped. cursed. I didn't have my mobile with me so no AA. Remembered something about a thread on here. Reached down, pulled up the pedal and OMG I can change gear and MOVE. Thank you AO.

im surprised you would need a rolling road print out to tell you if your car is faster after a re-map, if you cant feel a massive difference i would say its not that impressive a re-map from what i have read on here about companys like ahm alfatune etc people know instantly
(Post Link) post #116 of 134 Old 16-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi Gents.

The car definitely is much more powerful and torquey after the remap - it would just be interesting to see what the car is actually pushing out. I wonder if it would top 200bhp? Certainly feels as grunty as some 200bhp cars I've had in the past and much more torquey low down than a 300bhp heavily tuned Fiat Coupe I had a few years back.

Yes, I had the EGR issue sorted out a few weeks ago. Angel Tuning came out and gave it a new map on the driveway. Its now perfect.

I have also heard that Motormech are no longer using Angel so mistakes like this should hopefully be avoided in the future.

James
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
thats interesting James - who are they using now ?

hows your mpg btw ?
(Post Link) post #118 of 134 Old 16-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter View Post
thats interesting James - who are they using now ?

hows your mpg btw ?
Not sure of their current mapping company. I'd be interested to find out as well. Anyone want to give them a ring and ask?

Mpg now fractionally better than it was as standard. The trip computer says an average of 45/46mpg. My calculations show about 40-41mpg (click on the fuelly link banner below for stats if its showing up)...

James
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto
Your wheels look superb! Fantastic finish!!! I could ship mines to UK to have them done. Of course it would cost a fortune...
(Post Link) post #120 of 134 Old 17-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THROTTLEMAN View Post
Your wheels look superb! Fantastic finish!!! I could ship mines to UK to have them done. Of course it would cost a fortune...
Cheers mate. I'm sure you must be able to find someone local to do the same job. I just looked for "powder coaters" on the internet and found them. The powder they use for this finish is from America.

By the way, I've kerbed the damn things already! A couple of days ago I went round a corner a little too close to the kerb and caught the rear n/s. Bugger. I might actually get that one done again.

Also, some prat put a right dent in the rear n/s door about a week ago. I think it must have been a van (white paint left behind on the dent)! Its a right bang as well - they must have really tried hard to cause as much damage as possible or the wind caught their door or something.

So now I need a quote for some paint. I think I'll get the bonnet done (rediculously chipped) along with the front and rear doors on the nearside (both now have considerable sharp dents). Hmmm. A few hundred I bet...

James
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by perksy View Post
Cheers mate. I'm sure you must be able to find someone local to do the same job. I just looked for "powder coaters" on the internet and found them. The powder they use for this finish is from America.

By the way, I've kerbed the damn things already! A couple of days ago I went round a corner a little too close to the kerb and caught the rear n/s. Bugger. I might actually get that one done again.

Also, some prat put a right dent in the rear n/s door about a week ago. I think it must have been a van (white paint left behind on the dent)! Its a right bang as well - they must have really tried hard to cause as much damage as possible or the wind caught their door or something.

So now I need a quote for some paint. I think I'll get the bonnet done (rediculously chipped) along with the front and rear doors on the nearside (both now have considerable sharp dents). Hmmm. A few hundred I bet...

James
I take it you haven't tried the Chipex kit then as recommended. Works a treat and loads cheaper than respray. Albeit the respray would def produce a better result.
AO Member

County: essex
hi guys, i have just picked up a 3.2 Q4 lusso and would love to do a TI conversion im just wondering about the suspension set up for the Q4, would it share the same set up as a TI or would it still need lowering the 15mm once i put it on the TI 19" wheels

James your results look amazing by the way really good job.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
You could try measuring from the wheel badge centre to the rim of the wheel arch and let us know the measurement. We'll then be able to tell if you'll need to lower. I think you will need to lower though unless someone has already done so.
Easiest way, as TI springs are hard to find and a bit pricey, is get a set of Eibach pro kit springs and maybe some Bilstein B4 dampers to freshen it all up.
AO Member

County: essex
ill give that a go later and post the results, cheers.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
My "TI" lookalike project and some recomendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
Easiest way, as TI springs are hard to find and a bit pricey, is get a set of Eibach pro kit springs and maybe some Bilstein B4 dampers to freshen it all up.

Would agree and add OEM ones are prone to failure, just read how many have has spring snaps. The Eibach are better quality and sit maybe 0.5-1cm lower. Which looks better imho! Along with the benefit of a set of 4 costing near the same as one OEM

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
lookalike , project , recomendations