My "TI" lookalike project and some recomendations - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: england
does it include the pipe to replace dpf and why have they butchered your old dpf what happens if you need to put it back on ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Dublin
Great project Persky ...well impressed. Did you weight the DPF ? ( if you still have it ) would be interesting to see how many kg's this thing adds to the car overall !!

BTW ,does anyone \ has anyone lowered their 159 on 17"'s ...any pics ? Tks
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage
I think someone else weighed it a while back, 18kgs I seem to remember!

AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Mines booked in for next Thursday for a full service, dpf removal and remap. Will ask about the egr v/v still operating. Will not know if it is 'cos I don't have the ecuscan and probably wouldn't know how to use it anyway. ie how to connect etc. Will be starting out for Motormech at about 0500 to get there for 0800 as Birmingham has changed since I was last there in 1995 and I don't think my satnav is all that modern. It takes two damn hours to get the steam pressure up.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Be interesting to see how your 2.4 remap goes nandesuka as I wish to remap my 2.4 + dpf removal + egr block as well. Is yours currently a 200 or 210 bhp 2.4 ?

County: Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by perksy View Post
Ok, my DPF has now been removed, my EGR has been disabled and the engine remapped.

The thing is HUGE. They had to butcher the unit a little with an angle grinder to remove a sensor that apparently acts like an air flow meter. Not sure quite what it is but you can certainly see that somehting has been chopped out.

One thing I didn't realise is that the DPF unit is in fact a DPF and catalyst combined. There is a gap of about 3" between the two, but they are together in the same casing. Luckily, diesels are only tested for the opacity of the smoke produced (not HC or CO etc) so it will still pass an MOT fine without a catalyst and it gives you a very free flowing exhaust.

I'll take some pics of the removed DPF in a few minutes and post them up.
James

I am sorry to hijack your thread but I am curious about this process.
If they have done a proper dpf removal in the software why have they butchered your old dpf to retain the sensors????
There is only one way to do a proper dpf removal and that is by altering the software so no sensor readings needed.
As everybody knows we have now done lots of dpf removals and we give the original dpf back to our customers, if they so wish,intact
What happens if at some point the client wants to put the car back to standard?What use is a destroyed dpf??

Last edited by ALFA TUNER; 02-06-11 at 13:09.
(Post Link) post #82 of 134 Old 02-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
A fair point. However, if the DPF even needs to go back on to return the car to standard (which I think is relatively unlikely, but you never know) then I imagine it wouldn't be TOO much of a job to remove the sensor from the DPF replacement pipe and reinstall it in the DPF.

Also, if the car does somehow require an air flow meter in the exhaust then I'd prefer it to have one rather than the ECU having to second-guess what the readings should be.

James

Quote:
A fair point. However, if the DPF even needs to go back on to return the car to standard (which I think is relatively unlikely, but you never know) then I imagine it wouldn't be TOO much of a job to remove the sensor from the DPF replacement pipe and reinstall it in the DPF.

Also, if the car does somehow require an air flow meter in the exhaust then I'd prefer it to have one rather than the ECU having to second-guess what the readings should be.

James

Looking at your picture your dpf has had chunks taken off it and also the mounting flange has been cut off to probably be used again on your "new" pipe.
You have also missed my point,if the ecu has been altered to not take the dpf into account then it doesn't need the sensors,they are obsolete,so why does it have to go back on.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

well there is the old saying you get what you pay for :-) for me the ahm/alfatune option seems to be better value especially when you consider to replace your (butchered) dpf it would cost 1618.44 + vat for a new one from alfa
(Post Link) post #85 of 134 Old 02-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well, all I can say is that I'm perfectly happy for my 300+vat. The car is completely transformed and in the unlikely event the DPF does need to go back on, I don't think its going to take an engineer more than an hour or so to transplant the sensor back again.

@ AlfaTuner, as I said before;

"Also, if the car does somehow require an air flow meter in the exhaust then I'd prefer it to have one rather than the ECU having to second-guess what the readings should be."

I'm imagining the ECU is going to need some values from the sensor in the exhaust to run correctly. I'm no engine mapper but I'm imagining a DPF delete in a map is not just switching off a "DPF-present" switch but giving the ECU another set of readings to work with. I'd just rather these readings be actual ones rather than a substitute set.

As, I say, I'm not an engine mapper, just a bloke who's quite good at science/physics (and a keen interest in cars) and I'm happy with the result. I am dropping into Motormech tomorrow though and I will put these questions to them.

James

Last edited by perksy; 02-06-11 at 15:42.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

arent the sensors in the dpf there to let the engine ecu know how blocked it is etc surely if you have the dpf removed you no longer need the sensor ???

County: Hertfordshire
i actually called motormech the other day to ask about this, i was told they didn't butcher it to remove the sensor. They cut off the mounting flange as they hadn't the correct tool to remove it. I was told that in future with further notice they will order the tool and can carry out a dpf removal without butchering the dpf!
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Well I'm committed now for the work, unless I cancel. A couple of things have made me "step back" a bit. One is that you (Perksy) said that the egr had been disabled but you were still getting readings saying it was working? Isn't this not good? That shouldn't be happening. The other is that to do the job they are doing and offering, I would have thought they would have investigated and invested in the correct tools before offering the procedure. As they had to cut off the mounting flange from the dpf, does this mean that a bit is left attatched to the car?
ps Sorry Hessian, forgot about you comment. Will obviously let you and everybody else know what happens.
Gone are the days of carb rejetting.

Last edited by nandesuka; 02-06-11 at 20:16.
(Post Link) post #89 of 134 Old 02-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaracer97 View Post
arent the sensors in the dpf there to let the engine ecu know how blocked it is etc surely if you have the dpf removed you no longer need the sensor ???
There are three sensors on the DPF - two pressure sensors and the air flow / temp sensor.

The two pressure sensors (one before the dpf and one after to calculate the pressure difference) are not used. The sensor we're talking about here are is the air flow / temp sensor (not sure which).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozza View Post
i actually called motormech the other day to ask about this, i was told they didn't butcher it to remove the sensor. They cut off the mounting flange as they hadn't the correct tool to remove it. I was told that in future with further notice they will order the tool and can carry out a dpf removal without butchering the dpf!
Hmmm. Interesting. I'll look under the car in a bit to see if it looks like a complicated fittting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandesuka View Post
Well I'm committed now for the work, unless I cancel. A couple of things have made me "step back" a bit. One is that you (Perksy) said that the egr had been disabled but you were still getting readings saying it was working? Isn't this not good? That shouldn't be happening. The other is that to do the job they are doing and offering, I would have thought they would have investigated and invested in the correct tools before offering the procedure. As they had to cut off the mounting flange from the dpf, does this mean that a bit is left attatched to the car?

Gone are the days of carb rejetting.
I've been in contact with them over the last couple of days and they've been onto Angel Tuning about it (provider of the maps). It appears the map without EGR deletion was loaded instead of the one with EGR deletion.

I'm going to get the correct one loaded by them tomorrow.

Also, I think by "mounting flange" they mean the threaded section on the DPF that the sensor screws into, rather than some sort of bracket.

James
AO Member

County: Lancashire
[QUOTE

I've been in contact with them over the last couple of days and they've been onto Angel Tuning about it (provider of the maps). It appears the map without EGR deletion was loaded instead of the one with EGR deletion.

I'm going to get the correct one loaded by them tomorrow.

Also, I think by "mounting flange" they mean the threaded section on the DPF that the sensor screws into, rather than some sort of bracket.

James[/QUOTE]

The mounting flange is at one end of the dpf and mounts/fixes it the bit of exhaust that goes to the engine,
(Post Link) post #91 of 134 Old 02-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ah yes they did pinch the joining flange off the end of the DPF unit so the DPF replacement pipe could be joined to the existing exhaust.

I've had a good look under the car and I can see what they've borrowed from the DPF. There is what I believe to be a temperature sensor screwed into a boss which is welded into the DPF replacement pipe. Its the boss that has been taken from the DPF and welded into the new stainless pipe. The temperature sensor is then screwed into that.

I've attached a pic from a very old thread. The sensor in question is number 6.

Here is the full list of parts;

1. Turbocharger-exhaust manifold assembly
2. Catalytic converter
3. Filter
4. Exhaust gas pressure intake
5. Exhaust gas temperature sensor downstream of the catalyzer
6. Exhaust gas temperature sensor downstream of the filter
7. Differential pressure sensor
8. Injection control unit

5 and 6 are exhuast gas temperature sensors. No harm in retaining that in the exhaust system surely?!

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dpf2.jpg (19.2 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by perksy; 03-06-11 at 07:02.
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
I must admit when I first saw the Motortech price of 300 I was thinking damn I've paid over the odds at NJS for my DPF removal. However looking at how they've 'attacked' the DPF I'd have some real concerns over this mod.

I for one wanted a solution that was 100% reversible should the need arise. For example the many discussions on forthcoming retrospective tighter MOT emission restrictions. Furthermore not everyone wants a perceived 'molested' car so the ability to easily revert it back to standard is a bonus.

I am also reliably informed that the 159 is available in a number of markets where the DPF is not required and as such not fitted as standard. Hence there is an OEM part of a straight through exhaust section. If this is the case then I would assume the 'turning off' of the sensors would be inline with the standard set up on non-DPF factory spec model.

I'm glad to hear you're happy with this mod, and certainly do not mean or wish to p{$s on your parade, but I personally would not be happy with the end result in this instance.
cbev likes this.

Back in the fold !
(Post Link) post #93 of 134 Old 03-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi Chris.

Yes, I see where you're coming from.

I still consider the changes to be reversible. Its just a matter of reinstalling the boss on the DPF and reverting back to a std map.

The DPF pressure sensors are no longer being used. Lets not get that confused with the temp sensor that has been retained.

I'd be interested to know if the NJS / AlfaTuner etc modifications retain the exhaust gas temp sensor in the replacement pipe.

James

Quote:
Hi Chris.

Yes, I see where you're coming from.

I still consider the changes to be reversible. Its just a matter of reinstalling the boss on the DPF and reverting back to a std map.

The DPF pressure sensors are no longer being used. Lets not get that confused with the temp sensor that has been retained.

I'd be interested to know if the NJS / AlfaTuner etc modifications retain the exhaust gas temp sensor in the replacement pipe.

James
The sensor that was "removed" from your DPF to be transfered to your "new" pipe is the DPF tempreture sensor that is used by the ecu in order to initiate regens,with the dpf removed all the relevant information should be altered in the software,so the dpf pressure and temperature sensors are no longer required,
You seem to have retained it............are you expecting regens in the future?
(Post Link) post #95 of 134 Old 03-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

This could drag on and on.

All I can say is that I'm very pleased with the work that was done and the car is totally transformed in the way it drives. The low rpm "lag" the car used to have is gone and there is monster torque from about 1300rpm up. Its a hoot to drive.

I'm sure the old DPF is re-installable if I really wanted to return the car to standard, but I'm not sure it would be too wise to reinstall a 115,000 mile DPF anyhow.

Anyway, back on a Ti-lookalike thread, I fitted my Ti-copy skirts last weekend and they look great. I'll try and get some pics up soon.

Also, what have people paid for alloy wheel refurbishing in the past? I had a quote for 345 yesterday for my 19" wheels. Surely that has got to be a little OTT!

James
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Look forward to seeing the photos of the car complete with skirts!

Have a chat wit the fellas as SimplyAlfas, they do refurb on all wheels. I had the 18" horseshoes done on my old 159, they did a cracking job. And for a damn sight less than you have been quoted!!

I also had the front bumper and bonnet repspray from them Quality work. Was better than new.

Certainly worth a ring.
Alfajunkie

After seeing James car last night I can confirm it looks great !

I really thought it was a ti when it entered the car park !

It also certainly goes a lot better than mine does ! Really want mine lowered now too

(Post Link) post #98 of 134 Old 03-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cheers Wynne71.

Yes, I'll give SimplyAlfas a ring in the morning. I've heard good things about them and I could also do with my bonnet spraying. Would be good to get them both done at the same time.

Was good to meet a fellow 159 fan Justa. Thanks for the comments and it was great to have an actual chat about all things Alfa - so much easier than having to type everything!

I think your car looks great as it is. Maybe some horseshoe alloys and it would look perfect. Its also far too new to mess about with too much! But if you ever want to swap interiors just let me know. Loving the black having seem yours.

James
AO Member

Perksy, I love what you have done to the 159 might have a go at this myself, I also have had my cars remapped DPF/EGR DELETE at Alfatune not had a single problem, my 159's are taxis and have gone through a very strict council emissions tests with no issues, I got my unmolested DPF's back when I picked the car up and if you ever want to put your car back to standard I have three for sale 2 x 1.9 and 1 x 2.4 they are all complete and they have all connections and wires on them they look like they have simply been unbolted, hope the picture shows this if not they are listed on ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30rn2ty.jpg (87.2 KB, 20 views)
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Who in their right might would want to buy one of those monstrosities, anyone lucky enough to be no longer saddled with one on their 159 should run a mile

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
lookalike , project , recomendations