AO Silver Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stockport, Cheshire
Just changed oil & filter
Just thought i'd share my eventfull day!
I've changed the oil and filter hundreds of times on all the cars I have ever owned but never experienced anything like changed them on the Brera!
Got oil from Halfrauds 5w40 £38 per 5 ltrs and got to get 2 as the 2.4 takes 6 Ltrs. Also got a £10 voucher in return so not bad. They didn't have a filter so off to local motor factors. They had them in stock £7 and same as BMW diesel. They also recommended I get a new sump plug and washer £10. Why? I asked, "you'll find out" they said.
Drove car up onto ramps, (the type that has an extra front extension for low slung cars). The extensions bent! This is one heavy car! Never had a problem with any other cars.
Proceeded to get the undertray off (huge piece of plastic designed by the devil). About 10 bolts (need a star bit). 5 seized solid or just turned with castle nut. The car is only just 3 years old (In fact tomorrow! Happy birthday Brera!). I'm sure that if the undertray had been off in the last 3 years the bolts would be ok or the oil has just been siphoned up. The ones that I couldn't get off had to just lever the tray off around them.
They were right about the sump plug! absolutly siezed solid. Used a 2 ft extension bar and eventually rounded off the T50 socket. I used a hacksaw and cut a grove in the side then with a good smack of hammer and chiesel it cracked loose and came off dead easy. Make sure you have big enough tray 6 ltrs is a lot of oil. The oil was thick black and could of been original factory.
Next the filter. Not where I have ever seen a filter before! Its inside a canister behind the engine and as the car is up on ramps you have to lie on the engine to get to it! Has a huge plastic nut (Think about 36mm). I managed to free it with mole grips but i'll get a socket next time as there isn't much space. It must release some pressure as a load more oil came out of the sump as I lifted it out. Hint, push the new filter firmly into the canister before fitting the top back on as it wont go in far enough to catch the thread if you put it in with the top.
Fitted new sump plug. This time it had a 8mm allen key. Proceeded to put the tray back beforehand greasing all the bolts I got off. The ones where the bolts were rusted on I managed to prise the plastic back over them with a flat screwdriver. If it wasn't possible to get it firmly back on I think I would of left it off as its quite a heavy piece of plastic and would cause plenty of damage if it came away while driving at speed.
Refilled with oil and checked for leaks. All in all took about 3 hours where I normally would take about half an hour and a total cost of about £70 if just take into account of using 6 ltrs oil.
The main thing is I know its been done properly (not just reset ECU). When the oil change warning comes on it will be ready for a service anyway. Just me but I think every 9k miles for an oil change is far better.
Alfa History... 147 TI D, Brera 3.2, Brera 2.4, Giulietta 1.4 MA, Giulietta QV