A point in the right direction?! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 18-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

Help A point in the right direction?!

Hi all,
Firstly im new to this forum and to the world of the Alfa, like most of you i am besotted by that unknown qunatity intalled into every Alfa, so we have somthing in common and should get along just fine!
iv been browsing around here for the last few days and decided that you all seem a friendly enough bunch, so im hoping that your kind words of wisdom might be sent my way.

Im in the process of trying to purchase my self a 159 2.4 jdtm. budget is about 10k so im hoping for a decent model. appart from the usual tyre kicking and trying to sound technical, is there anything i should be keeping an eye out for in particular. in general i know my way around cars ( hnd motorsport engineering ) but im sad to say i have no experience of alfas other than a few laps at goodwood in the the 3.2 jts where the love began.

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

Brera SV 2.4JTDM

I don't have a 159 but I do have the 2.4 5pot in a Brera and thoroughly enjoy it. Welcome to the Alfisti.
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
I have the 2.4 JTDm in the 159, never looked back Welcome to AO

Salute, Giordano.
AO Member
County: East Sussex

Member car:

Alfa 159 3.2 Q4

Hi Chris

I recently bought my 159 and these are the things I'd advise you look out for on a test drive:

Check the power steering. Turn the wheel to full lock and listen for loud groans and creaks as you turn (some noise is normal on most cars at full lock). Power steering and the steering rack are weak points on the 159.

When at full lock drive backward and forward at slow speed and listen for ticking or twanging noises from the wheels. Cv joints/bushes/springs/gators may need replacing.

Listen for whining noises especially in low gear which might indicate a worn gear box. Some whine is normal in first/reverse at low speed.

Check that the gear shift is smoothish (159s are a bit notchy normally) and make sure the clutch returns to the up position after you release it.

Check the carpet on the drivers side for heel damage (the rubber pad is not positioned sensibly and early Alfa mats were very thin). Also check the carpets front and back for dampness (water ingress has been a problem for some).

Check the tyres particularly the inner tread for uneven wear, and make sure the car brakes in a straight line.

Listen for a grating noise from the air con that might indicate the need for a re-gassing or new condenser.

Make sure you get a car with FASH ideally 'used approved' but if not budget 500 or so for a comprehensive aftermarket warranty.

Have I missed anything?

Oh yeah, get a 3.2 instead... you know you want to
AO Silver Member
County: Worcestershire
In fairness a lot of common issues with the 159's are usually more than apparent. Ie problems with DPF and EGR valve will make the car run rough, wheel alignment will show up as uneven tyre wear etc.

first job lose the DPF / EGR via a remap best money you'll ever spend !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 19-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

thanks guys!
this will be af great help! seems iv found the car.. underbudget too leaving enough to pay the hefty 1200 insurance and stop off for a remap on the way home.
-fash ( with itemised reciepts )
-new eagle f1 tyres and brera alloys.
-57 plate lusso 210 bhp with 60k on the clock.
- blue&me
- bodywork and interior lmaculate ( photos to show)
- Stromboli Metallic Grey.
- dpf & erg have just been replaced ( not that they would last long anyway)
asking little over 8k. sound like a good deal or should i hold out for the next one to come along?
....oh and no poaching im 6ft 5 230lbs haha
AO Silver Member
County: Gauteng
[QUOTE=....oh and no poaching im 6ft 5 230lbs haha [/QUOTE]

AO Silver Member
County: Greater Manchester
Welcome to AO from a fellow newbie! I've had my 159 for less than two weeks, and have barely stopped smiling since :-)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

direction , point