The law etc. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4

The law etc.

Haven't got me Alfa as yet, but looking all over the place and investigating various odds and sods and hoping to see a nice one this weekend.
1) DPF removal on 2.4's. What has Mr MOT to say about this. A few years ago I had a Prelude. Put a catback exhaust on it and then got a decat from fleabay. Took it down to my local "friendly" tester just before the MOT and asked him to test. It failed. He said that basically if the car had a cat on it, then it should have one on it. I take it that the DPF is similar to a cat.
2) Insurance. There's a car on the internet with a Mangoletsi stage 3. Put in for insurance on a standard 2.4. Got 360 odd. Next put in for the mods. Got 300 more expensive. So what about the DPF removal and emapp? If you don't tell them about anything, even if it's just a pin stripe it's none standard and you ain't insured if you have't declared it. Even if you have an accident that isn't your fault. So you end up with a personal bill and driving an unisured car for the local bill to pick up on.
What are the experiences of members?
Sponsored Links
Not sure about MOT. but DPF / regen would have increased insurance by 375!

I know there is a view that they would never know and no claims then they wouldn't. But I figured any major insurance claim they just need to look under the car to see no DPF. Insurance null and void...
AO Silver Member
County: Worcestershire
Lots of discussions on here about DPF removal so I suggest the first port of call is the Search function on here.

However the DPF removal will not effect your MOT at present. Alfatune also confirm that the DPF removal still also passes the tighter emissions coming into effect soon.

Re-insurance yes you need to tell them and yes they will try to screw you over.

Worth noting not all markets have DPF fitted and Alfa supply a genuine straight through pipe replacement part. The tact I would take with the insurance company would be that the DPF failed, the replacement was too expensive so you replaced it with a straight through pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the fold !
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire
Originally Posted by Chrisyounguk View Post
The tact I would take with the insurance company would be that the DPF failed, the replacement was too expensive so you replaced it with a straight through pipe.
Wise words. Cost based replacement versus performance based.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider