Alfa 159 JTD known gearbox/clutch issues? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 05-04-11 Thread Starter
County: Leicestershire
Alfa 159 JTD known gearbox/clutch issues?

Hi all, have just registered on here as I am in the market for an Alfa 159 diesel. I have not decided which to go for yet, whether the 1.9JTD (150) or the 2.4JTD. My concern is, I am selling my Astra 1.9CDTi (150) to replace it with the Alfa and I believe that this Astra and the 159 JTD share the same engine. It is a known fault with this model Astra that the gearbox is weak and can quite often fail with bearing issues. In face the Astra I am selling has a noisy gearbox. Do you guys know if they share the same gearbox (I imagine they do as they share the engine) and also does anyone know of reported failings with the 159 gearbox with this engine? I am persuading my wife to let me get the Alfa based on the Astra box falling apart but I don't think i'll convince her if we will potentially have the same problem with the Alfa!

Also any opinions on the 2.4JTd? Does this have similar gearbox issues or is it a stronger unit? Are the reported poor fuel consumption rumours true with this engine? Just trying to build some knowledge before taking the plunge!

Cheers all
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
The fuel consumption can be an issue, certainly coming from an Astra to a 159 the difference in sheer bulk makes the 159 diesel to work that bit harder.
However, it is a cracker of an engine if given the correct treatment, I had mine tuned by Angel and it gave a hike in power and economy. This was in a 1.9 diesel by the way.
Transmission wise, there are a few that have had Dual Mass Flywheel failures at early mileage, do a search and you should find a bit on this.
Depending on previous experience the gearbox use and feel is fine. I never had a problem with my 159 over 28K miles. And that was handing it over with 88 on the clock when I had finished.

A great looking car that handles well, gets loads of looks and comments. A good choice.

Moved over to the dark side

And loving it
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Previous owner had to rebuild the transmission because of a broken bearing. The problem occurred around 60,000 miles.

Like wynne71 said, it is a great looking car that handles well.

Every car today has some kind of issues...

Last edited by cona; 05-04-11 at 15:03.
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

159 1.9 JTD SW

Just had to rebuild the box on mine at 88k. Its a definate weakness in the Opel 6 speed gearbox. Also fuel economy seems poor compared to my 2.4 10v.
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Had a soft clutch/not returning issue which I booked in last week to have looked at. Got a call from the dealership today saying that it needs a new gearbox...currently on 23K miles from new :-(
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

I've just suffered at the hands of the noisy gearbox too. It was getting noisy so was about to book it in and it went pop tonight when slotting it into 6th. Lots of gearbox oil deposited........ Arse! This is with a FSH and only 55K on the clock. ONly had it serviced a few weeks ago but now out of warranty as on a 57 plate. HOw can a gearbox go this early on in a car's life????
My MY2008 1.9JTDm was showing signs of a soft clutch at around 36k miles.
It would slip and smell if asked to do any reverse parking on a slight hill or reversing into an uphill side road, and it gave me the impression that it was slipping slightly on acceleration from rest.
I part-ex'd the car at 39k
The gearbox itself seemed fine but I had the driveshaft "womp....womp.....womp" noise at low speeds, that the dealer never managed to fix in spite of changing the drive shafts.
All very disappointing.
County: Wicklow

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159

I have had a 159 1.9JTDM for 2 years, it has only 100K km on the clock, and Im strting to get a whine out of the gearbox...which is getting worse everyday.
I brought it to my dealer and Ive been quoted €1400 for beaqrings to be replaced in the gearbox.
Im not a happy man,
i love this car, but I cant justify that spend - so Im trading it in, and hoping a dealer doesnt notice.

Im going to the dark side to get a Lexus IS220D - more power / more reliable
Maybe Ill come back to Alfa when I win the lotto and dont have to worry about forking out huge money!

Dont worry though, Im not going to turn into a "Dont buy an Alfa" type folk, we ha d a great two years, its just time to grow up and settle down!
AO Member
I believe that the Astra has the m32 gearbox and that the 159 has the F40 gearbox. Please correct me if I am wrong. Clutches are definitely an issue however and the gearbox is suspect too, though SAAB 9-3 and Vectra owners don't seem to have as many failures on the same hardware apparently.
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

There will be a lot of 159 owners who have not had any gearbox/clutch issues too.......!
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

159 1.9.jtdm

The 1.9 box is the same geartrag box as fitted in the Vauxhauls, it has some differences but yes is essentialy the same ****e unit, the bearings do get noisy & eventually let go destroying the casings, the 2.4 uses a different box I don't know how reliable these are. Luckily I had the use of a mates garage and ramp so my box re-build wasn't to spiteful at around 400, without this I think the average repair price is 1~1.5k as it is a mare to get out
AO Member
County: Buskerud

Member car:

159 Jtdm TI SW

My cluch was changed at 96000KM and my dealer has ordered a gearbox cause of whining/metal scratching noises. Car has gone 110KM. Very important to change oil in the box every 30000KM, then it might hold longer and maybe won't break down.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , alfa , gearbox or clutch , issues , jtd