Choice between two 159's - help needed - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Cheshire
I think its going to come down to what your heart tells you. Go for a decent test in both of them again one after the other and that may help you decide.

Personally I'd much rather have the BOSE option as that must be over 600 option, a sat nav nowadays for 100 will be better than an optional one.

The 2.4 engines are supposed to sound lovely, but as people have already mentioned the 2.0engine is the most modern latest engine which will replace the 2.4. A remapped 2.0 engine would be just as quick as the 2.4 I should imagine, and you could get rid of the DPF and EGR valve.

Either way you should be very happy with a 159 once you get ued to driving it.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Originally Posted by Irmscher View Post
Either way you should be very happy with a 159 once you get ued to driving it.

And the great thing about the 159 is that you don't see many of them on the road
(Post Link) post #28 of 32 Old 02-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

159 1750 TBi Ti

So, the plot thickens.

Today I got hold of a 1750 TBi and had a test drive. Interesting. You can really tell that the nose is lighter - turn in was definitely sharper, there was much less understeer, and generally it felt livelier. The manual gearbox was lovely - very precise and almost impossible to stall in first (which will help the wife).

So handling-wise I marginally prefer the petrol/manual combo over the still great diesel/auto that I tried last week. test drive gave me no chance to see how well the TBi copes with mid-range overtaking acceleration. This is something I know the 2.4 diesel is particularly good at. There was one point where I floored the TBi in a high gear and not a lot happened, which concerns me. Can any TBi-ers tell me what its like if you pull out for a cheeky overtake and find you're not on the boost?
I take the road from Sisteron to Grenoble sometimes and the 1750
is a hoot for overtaking on this single carriageway route.

The antilag system means even when off boost it's pretty
darn responsive.

Better for these kind of manoeuvres than the NA 2.2 JTS in my view.
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

159 1750 Ti

The tbi has always been described as quite diesel like in its power delivery, mid range acceleration is more than adequate. You don't have to be a gear stick jokey to get past every lorry you come across.
AO Silver Member
County: -
I get a bit of lag with mine but simply work the thing earlier to compensate once on song it's fantastic (I've got the 240bhp upgrade) It's equally as fast in a high gear using the prodigious torque as it is dropping down a gear to overtake and you get the turbo rush as well. I've experimented with accelerating through the gears but missing out 5th and it just keeps going at the same rate. The most satisfying thing is the pick up between 80 and 100mph in top- awesome....
County: Lincolnshire
White with an older engine, or black with a pocket rocket...?

Go for the black one

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , choice , needed