"nd service - How much? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 22-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

"nd service - How much?

My 159 2.4jtdm is coming up to its second/36k service in a few hundred miles or so, so I have started checking out prices.

The Alfa indie I used to to take my 147 to quoted 220 + VAT (so 264 by my calculations) for what basically sound like a basic service (oil & filter etc). They always use genuine parts.

I then telephoned main stealer for a price. Wait for it....... 520! But the guy stated that this is a 'major service' i.e. literally 'everything' done, whatever that means (I don't have the service book with me so can't reference the 2nd service check list). To give the guy his dues, he has agreed to match the indie's price if I don't have some of the extras such as brake fluid changed, diesel additives added etc.

What do people think the best option would be? I really trust the indie guys but if I can get a similar service from the main dealers should I go with them?

Worth mentioning that I don't trust the main dealers not to 'find' hundreds of pounds worth of extras that need doing - although I still have about 7 months of a 12 month warranty to run with them as I bought the car from them in December.

Any thoughts from you guys would be most welcome!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
Take a look at what happens in the 36k service here

The guys at Alfa Workshop charge 195 for the 2.4

Personally i'd never go to a main stealer if I didn't have to. Aside from the costs (in my experience) they aren't really mechanics any more, rather just 'fitters'. So without shadow of a doubt I'd go to a recommended independant over them, remember an independent has a reputation to maintain.
AO Member
County: Worcestershire
My Brera is booked into NJS for its 36k on Monday. I'll let you know.
AO Member
County: Buckinghamshire
I just had my 2.4 done; 250 for the service plus 150 for the oil and filters - all at an Alfa dealership. That was at 32k miles...
AO Member
County: -
Yeah 500 is heck of a lot of money for not a lot of work.

So they look at a few things, change the oil, a filter or two and brake fluid.

I'd stick to people you trust and actually know the cars
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 22-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

I'm definitely leaning towards using the trusted independent........

Think I'll also get them to do a once over on the car just to check a few other niggles that are appearing (various warning messages on start-up, clunky gearbox etc).

They've always done right by me in the past so why change!

Would anyone suggest I get them to look at the PAS fluid? I've read on here that there is a correct and incorrect fluid colour, although not being mechanically minded I'm not sure of the consequences of having the wrong colour!!
AO Member
County: East Sussex

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Just had the third service done on my 1.9jtdm. Took it to a trusted indy, 203 inc vat, and that was with a new fuel filter which are about 50. Trusted indys is definately the way to go.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
The problem with the stealers is that they will negotiate on service prices to lure you in - but if you need any major repairs you'll pay full price. On that basis it's better to find and stay with an indy so that if you do need anything expensive doing you'll know you can get it at a fair price.

When will Alfa dealers realise they're pushing thousands of owners out of the dealer network by asking ridiculous prices for often not very good work?
AO Member
County: Cheshire
If you have had good service from the indie garage and you trust them, then why change for something more expensive? I think they deserve your custom by building up trust, which I feel is the most important thing.

I took my old 147 to an Indie garage and liked them both personally and professionaly. They were thourough and at the same time would advise against getting things done if it wasn't needed. I'll definitly be taking my Brera there when it needs servicing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider