Alfa 159 2.4 JTD TI 2007 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 15-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4JTD

Alfa 159 2.4 JTD TI 2007

Hi everyone,

I would like your opinion/views on this, please. A local (in Malta) dealer has a 2007 Alfa 159 2.4JTD TI for sale. It has 81000 miles on the clock and it comes with a full service history. The asking price is 19800 euros, equivalent to 17800 Sterling. First of all, what do youthink of this price? I think it's inflated. What is a fair price for such a vehicle? Secondly, is there anything i should look out for in particular, if i decide to have a closer look at this vehicle? The mileage seems high too for a 2007 car, at least for Maltese drivers anyway!
BTW, currently i drive a 2001 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD and i'm very curious to see how this 159 compares with my car, which i love.
Any comments?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex
For a 2007 plate and that mileage that asking price does seem quite a way off. I'm looking at 159 2.4 TIs at the moment for my first Alfa, most of which are 08 / 58 plates without around 40,000 miles - Asking from 11 - 15k Sterling. I guess in prestine condition he could stretch a bit more but most I've looked at were prestine anyway...
AO Member
County: West Midlands
For that sort of money you should get a 2010 TI with very low mile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Gold Member
I dont think anyone in the UK can comment without knowing the list price of a new one in Malta.

You would be lucky to get 10K in a trade for that in the UK with a sticker price of 12K at a dealer with a warranty.

That car in the UK would only have cost about 26K in 2007 (albeit by 2010 they were looking for about 32!)
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Brera S

I would have thought you could probably have a nice holiday in the UK to find a car and enjoy a good drive back testing your new toy and end up with a few thousand Euros in your pocket and a car with lower mileage?
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Celica 190

Malta prices

Hi all,

I'm currently on here researching 159 SWs, but can help a little here.

Prices in Malta are crazy and are not at all comparable to the UK. I had a mate who worked there for three years, and we were amazed at all of the old cars (trip back to the 70s / 80s) and the high high prices.

So much so that we looked into buying in the UK and taking out there, and then selling on later etc. They have some crazy import taxes, I believe (from memory) that they charge you 30% of the original list price to import a car.

Hence its not worth doing, and this is why cars in Malta are 1.5 - 2 times the prices in the UK.

Hope that helps.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 17-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4JTD

Thank you guys...
Basically all your comments made sense and you are right. We do have unbelievable taxes on cars here. Even new cars are way too expensive compared to UK and mainland europe ones. That is why Malta has become the top used car nation in the world.
Many Maltese are coming over to the UK and doing just that, actually, choosing their own vehicle and driving it back or having it shipped back. You should see the number of second- hand, UK-imported BMW 3 series 20d on the roads here....crazy.
Thanks again....
I'd still opt for an Alfa 159 over any BMW, any day!!
AO Silver Member
County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Alfaless :( BMW!

Ok - So buy in the UK and drive back.

My local dealer recently had a Red 2007 2.4 Ti 159 with 86k miles - Was being supplied with a full history, freshened up paintwork at front and one years Alfa warranty for 9495.

It did not sell quickly and following my enquiry to dealer I am sure I could have negotiated to 9k. Same car at 50% cost!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 2007 , alfa , jtd