Alfa 159 1.9JTDm Cam Belt Change
Hi All, For those of you thinking about doing your own cam belt change on this model; I did mine today and it was one of the easiest cambelts I've done in a while. After getting ridiculous quotes of up to £600 to do the belt and waterpump I decided to do it myself. I am an ex car mechanic but haven't worked as a mechanic for nearly 25 years. Took me 6 hours plodding along and having done one I reckon I'd do the next one in 3 to 4 hours. I got the cam belt kit from the Alfa workshop (£105.00) the water pump was £44.00 and was changed in the nick of time; the cars on 71k miles now and I knew I was pushing it, the pump was actually leaking past the gland seal and sounded a bit rough when I spun it. I also changed the auxiliary belt as theres no point doing this work and leaving the auxiliary belt.
I was expecting this job to be really complicated after all the overblown quotes and it just wasn't. I remember changing two belts on an Alfasud boxer engine many years ago and that was complicated.
One tip I would give you is not to bother removing the stone guard from underneath the engine. Simply slot an inch thick piece of wood between the sump and the tray then jack up underneath the tray using another wooden block lined up with the block above. This ensures the engine is supported when the mounting bracket is removed and I guarantee it will not damage the stone guard so long as the gap between guard and sump is well packed. It's a bit of a pain removing the guard when you're working on your own drive. Anyway the purpose of this post was to demystify the process; even if you put it into an independent garage I don't think a labour charge of more than £120 could be justified. So I reckon I've just saved around £400 by doing this and would urge anyone with a modicum of mechanical experience to do the same.