Alfa romeo 159 1.9 jtdm sw fault - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 03-03-11 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire

Member car:

159sw 1.9jtdm

Alfa romeo 159 1.9 jtdm sw fault

Can anyone help with this one I am sure that I have been taken for a dumb fool by a certain service garage, here is my problem with my vehicle and the faults that came up before it failed to start. I had driven the car for about half and hour when numerous fault warning lights appeared on my head up display, asr failure abs failure alarm failure. I parked the car up and turned off the engine etc, I came back to the car and attempted to start it and it lit up ok and all the usual lights on the dash came up but the car failed to start. I had to have the vehicle recovered to a Alfa service station in Preston, they contacted me back after looking at the vehicle and told me the earth bond had been corroaded away bythe battery leaking and it would cost me 314 pounds to put a new battery on and sort the earth bond!!!! ontop of this the bonnet release lever broke and they needed to replace the cable,levr and catch for a further 285 is it just me but does this seem a little bit over the top to repair what seem very minor faults???? can enyone advice of similar faults and if I am just complaining for the sake of it ?????
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Focus + ZX9

Certainly the price for the battery and earth cable is over the top, a new battery would be around 60-80 (have a look on the net), the pain in tha **** part would be getting rid of the corrosion on the earth bond and fitting the new earth cable, but if it was me I'd probably do it myself. If you were happy to find an auto electrics supplier you could pick up the required bits for a few quid. They may even be able to do the work for a fraction of the garage price.
AO Member
County: Dorset
Diagnosis sound valid but it does sound fecking expensive. Surely the earth strap can be unbolted on the body end? So you're looking at no more than 100 for a battery plus 30 for an earth strap plus 35 fitting = 165.

New bonnet release cable say 30 plus fitting is probably a pain so say 100 = 130. Why they need to replace the lever and catch depends on why the cable broke! Does no-one repair/oil anything these days?

I'd get a second opinion.

Ian A.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , alfa , fault , jtdm , romeo