Hello and help! 159 EGR/DPF - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 26-02-11 Thread Starter
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

159 JTDM

Help Hello and help! 159 EGR/DPF

Im Russ (hence the user name ) and iv just picked up a nice 159 JDTM 1.9 on an '06' reg.

It has full AR history, and has just turned on 115k.

I hope you guys will be able to help me, it was owned by a good friend who has done 60,000 miles in it, with an average of 70 miles per day.

Last year (approx 95k) it has the cambelt done, along with a new EGR valve - I did remove the old one for him to clean it - would you believe it was completely filled with soot! I mean full up, it couldnt operate due to being fyll up, and the inlet manifold hole was also blocked.

It worked better after I had cleaned it but ultimately the light came back on so it went into Alfa for a service, belt change and new EGR.

Now ever since (15k) it hasnt run as well as it did before the EGR issues - it goes well enough and pulls clean through the revs, but it seems sluggish at low revs and when starting - it also seems to be more vicious coming on boost - before it was progressive, now it's more like an on/off switch - im going to pop off the EGR today and give it a check/clean but does nyone have any more ideas guys?

Next question, I have the engine light on with these 2 faults:

P1205 which comes up as DPF

P2453 wgich is pressure difference sensor.

I had the fault erased on a friends machine to see if it was a one off (The car has only been on very short trips the past month or so - under 2 miles a trip) but it stayed off a day then the light popped back on - I gave it a good thrashing over the following day but the light still came on - is there a common problem here - ie does a forced DPF regeneration usually solve it (if so il pop it into Alfa next week) or can there be split hoses etc that may cause the issue? When the light was reset it seemed to drive a little smoother but generally there doesnt seem to be any difference driving wise with the light on or off.

One other thing that may/may not be connected, it seems to take longer to start sometimes - could Alfa have messed up the cam timing? Is the timing easy to check or do you need any locking tools etc? Maybe another job for this afternoon

Many thanks in advance!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , egr or dpf