159 1.9jtdm low fuel economy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 25-02-11 Thread Starter
County: -
159 1.9jtdm low fuel economy

Dear Alfa owners,

I am new at these kind of things, and one of the main reasons I joined this community, to be honest, is to find out other peoples experience with Alfa Romeo 159 1.9jtdm.

Now, I just bought an Alfa 159 1.9jtdm. Got it second hand, but it is like new, 15.000 km (9.300mi), year 2008, mostly kept in the garage by the first owner... Anyway, there is one thing that is bothering me! I thought these engines are somewhat fuel economical, consuming around 7.5 - 8.0 litres per 100km (even 9 if driven hard)

Well, board computer in my Alfa 159 shows that it consumes 9.5 - 10 litres of diesel per 100km, and I'm driving it like a woman(no disrespect !
I must admit that it is winter here at the moment, snows a lot and the streets are covered in snow, and the temperature is around 0 to -4 Celsius.

I mean the car is quite heavy(1700 kg ), and has 150bhp, but still I think its a lot.

Can anybody here advise me on this issue? Any experience?
Maybe I'm driving it wrong. Maybe I should change gears between 2,000 and 3,000 rev's...

Maybe all the above just sounds stupid, but I thought I might get the advise from other Alfa Romeo owners.

And please excuse my English writing, its not my first language

Regards to all !
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

If you reset the on-board computer you will find the mpg reflects how you drive and not the person before!
Just hold down the button facing you on the end of the stalk when in current consumption mode.
Having said that if you do a "search" at the top of this board, there is loads of debate about mpg. I average 40-45 mpg in mixed driving, more on Motorways.
AO Member
County: Dublin
I suppose if it's -4c this one mightn't apply but switch off the air conditioning and you should see some benefits. Tyre pressures and weight in the boot might also be a factor. The official figures will certainly be acheived with an empty boot and perfect tyres.

I have the same model and though I haven't made any notes my recollection is of being impressed with the average in 6th gear on the motorway cruising at 120km/h, but around town or in mixed driving it's a lot less impressive. The trip computer is also very precise as on downhill stretches the "current avg" figure reaches biblical levels but when driving uphill drops to hopeless. Might need to monitor it over a long distance or a few journeys to get a proper feel.

Last edited by newoven; 25-02-11 at 15:50.
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Snow kills fuel economy. In my old Focus, I averaged just over 40mpg over seven years. One of my last tankfuls before getting my 159 was in the heavy snow we had in the UK in early December last year. I got 33mpg out of that tank.
AO Member

Member car:

Octavia vRS tsi

MPG improves when you get to around 20K miles, my Tí was barely managing 35-38MPG, as the miles went up. MPG improved, and is now around 41, 45MPG if I drive like a granny

I find I burn lots more on twisty Tarmac

Stop clock watching, and enjoy the drive
AO Member
8l per 100km is about 36 mpg.

I would expect to get that in my 1.9D 159 on shorter journeys, and about 40-42mpg on longer trips if I am careful.

You don't say what sort of trips you are doing - this makes a massive difference.

(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 28-02-11 Thread Starter
Sorry guys I didnt reply in the last 2 days... here I am again.
OK on the motorway it is normal that the average MPG or KPL is high.
But my problem is the city driving. Most of the time I drive in the city so the average MPG or KPL is quite low, at least for 1.9 diesel engine. My friend has Fiat Stilo 1.9 jtd and that car, however you drive it, cannot go over 7.6 liter per 100km, unbelievable.
Also, I do not use A/C during winter, just during summer. I can only imagine how much it will consume in the summer time... and also Alfa 159 is damn heavy car!
I appreciate all you comments and suggestions so far.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 19jtdm , economy , fuel , low