DPF construction - is this the simple fix?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 13-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
DPF construction - is this the simple fix??

OK I appreciate there are many threads on DPFs & EGR valves etc. on alfaowner and many other makes forums. But was just thinking [dangerous].

Hypothesis: DPF is a mechanical filter. It slowly blocks and the engine management system recognises this through various sensors. Then switches a regen on to clear it hopefully.

By its very nature the DPF, as a filter, will reduce the available flowrate through the exhaust system for a given upsteam (engine side ) exhaust pressure. So .........

Does anyone know how the filter is manufactured, constructed and out of what , is it ceramic or a metal matrix? I had a Cataltic converter fail once on a previous motor. It was fairly easy to smash and drift out the ceramic matrix. If we were able to remove the filter innards would it really cause any problems??? It certainly would not block up again and would result in a free flowing exhaust system !!!!

Would it need a remap - I wouldn't expect to have to have one if I put a free flowing stainless steel system on. OK may not get more performance but the regen /DPF issue would go away once and for all.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

construction , dpf , fix , simple