Clicking noise when accelerating - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire
Clicking noise when accelerating

I suppose I should start from the beginning...
Yesterday, I had an issue with what I thought was the water pump, as I was approx 2 miles from home I had a drop in economy and general refinement, and when I got home the fan was on and the coolant reservior was up to the max mark.

Today, took the car out to take it to a approved service centre and everything seemed to be working okay, so decided to drive it around a bit until it up to normal operating temperature... again eveything seemed okay... decided to go back home but a ticking noise has developed under acceleration at low revs, but there doesn't appear to be any loss of driveability or economy.

Any ideas anyone? I'm assuming the two incidents are linked.

BTW, it's the 2.4JTDM.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Sponsored Links
the ticking noise I have in my car I thought was the turbo...
AO Member
Did this ever come back? I haven't had any problems with the cooling system, but I do get a sort of ticking or tinkling / rattling noise under acceleration (particularly noticeable when accelerating up hills). I was wondering whether it could be anything to do with the auxiliary belt or possibly one of the tensioners or pump bearings?? My aux belt does have a few cracks in it, so i sprayed some belt slip on it, but doesn't seem to have affected the noise at all.
AO Member
Further update - my squeaking / chirping under acceleration was starting to get more frequent, so had a look at this useful thread:
Auxillary Belt and Tensioners

From the links in the above thread I concluded it was the aux belt slipping. So bought a new belt from local motor factors (can highly recommend Central Auto Supplies in Foleshill, Coventry), refitted & the problem / noise is cured!

The old belt was a bit cracked but generally looked okay, but once removed I noticed there was a tiny stone that had lodged deep in one of the 'v' channels - I wonder if this was the main source of the noise (sorry forgot to photograph). I guess over time this would wear down the mating rib on the various pulleys & tensioners, so glad I went ahead & replaced!

The job itself isn't too difficult - hardest bit I found was holding back the auto-tensioner (15mm spanner / socket), but with a bit of perseverance managed to get the locking holes aligned & insert a 5mm drill bit. I found it was slightly easier to work through the wheel arch (obviously FR wheel off, but only needed to remove a plastic access cover, not the whole arch liner). Also need to be careful not to get any grease/muck on the new belt while trying to manouver it around the pulleys & tensioners. Recommend take a photo of the old belt routing first so u don't forget! All the pulleys / tensioners seemed okay/not loose, so I didn't bother replacing. Car has done just over 60,000 miles.

Feel free to reply with any other questions. Once again thanks to this forum for steering me in the right direction!
AO Member
Argh! A few hundred miles on the new aux belt & the squeaking noise under acceleration is back!
I thought all the pulleys & tensioner felt solid & smooth when I changed the belt. Just wondering if it's one of the pulley bearings?? Any suggestions welcome!
AO Gold Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

The turbo’s tend to make a rattling noise when accelerating rapidly.
I think it is the movable bits in the turbo adjusting or something.
On my car it is loud since I use a filter that’s not contained in a housing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

accelerating , clicking , noise