Air conditioning and heating unit - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 10-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dublin
Air conditioning and heating unit

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this somewhat quirky behavior. I put the unit on full auto (either side) and the cold air (Airco) jumps in automatically, regardless of the temp settings on the dials or the temperature outside, it will also occasionally randomly come on, is it tied to the back demister also?

Not a really big issue but wondering if anyone else has seen this and there is a simple answer.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

As far ad I understand it, FULL AUTO will switch the Aircon compressor on and off as it sees fit, in response to temp/misting(?) etc. This is in conjunction with the heater temp and fan speed. AUTO, will do the same, but without the compressor, which is what I usually leave it on.

I'm happy to be corrected if anyone has any more accurate knowledge, but that seems to make sense to me.

AO Member
County: Dorset
Well from my understanding, automatic climate control always turns the air-con on and off as required unless manually overridden. The air con indicator on the Alfa doesn't change, it's always red when in auto mode.

Full-auto mode on the early 159s means that all functions are being controlled automatically, including fan speed, air con and air direction. Manual setting of these functions, e.g. changing the fan speed will drop it back to "Auto" mode. The air con and air direction are still being managed automatically but you have decided to take control of the fan. You will only get rid of the "Auto" display if you override all three functions, fan speed, direction and air con.

As I understand it, later 159s substitute "Full Auto" for "Auto" and "Auto" for no display.

NB. The system will still increase the fan speed proportionatly if it detects a change in conditions, e.g. misting up or increased sunload, internal or external temperature. For example, full-auto sets fan to 3. I override it by setting it to 2. Sunload increases so fan is increased by 1 regardless of my previous setting. Sunload decreases and it gets reduced by 1.

I could be wrong however, I'm only going by past experience of climate control systems.

Ian A.

PS. Air con is usually turned off at low temperatures (say below 3 degrees) to prevent "compressor icing". The Automatic Recirculation function doesn't appear to work below about 6 degrees, presumably to avoid misting up.

PPS. The auto mode usually leaves the air con running. The only reasons it turns it off is due to low external temperature or for maximum power if it detects full throttle (depends on the car).
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 11-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dublin
Thanks for the concise responses guys, it's a 159 2.4 Lusso
County: Lanao del Norte

Member car:

Central Air conditioning brand name....

Central Air conditioning brand name air conditioners and heating systems sold to you with FREE shipping! Air conditioning pricing with live phone support.

Heating And Air

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

air , conditioning , heating , unit