Steering Alignment (with Correct Data in Post 1) - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

(Post Link) post #51 of 416 Old 05-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
The people who sold you the springs must be liable for telling you what they designed the settings to be.

As the car comes down the wheels are pushed out on the rear and the Toe-In increases at the front. The adjusters then need to be set in compensation to this new position. Before getting unusual tyre wear I would do some urgent checking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

159 1.9Ti-alike

Thanks, I'll make this a priority.

No chance of the manufarturers of the springs coming forward with settings though I wouldn't have thought. I think I'll stick with the Ti settings as the car is at exactly Ti ride height.

Can rear toe-in and camber (back or front) be adjusted on the 159s does anyone know?

James
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
There you go...
Thanks for the pdf....I am still a little confused whether the stated spec is "each side" or "total camber".

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Brera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by perksy View Post
Thanks, I'll make this a priority.

No chance of the manufarturers of the springs coming forward with settings though I wouldn't have thought. I think I'll stick with the Ti settings as the car is at exactly Ti ride height.

Can rear toe-in and camber (back or front) be adjusted on the 159s does anyone know?

James
It'll cost a little more, but it might be worth booking in a session with Perter Cambridge to sort this out as it strays a bit from the normal. I'm not on commission, just a happy customer after he did my Brera and I went from 18" wheels to 19" wheels and changed my springs to Eibach ones somewhere in the middle.

peter@pcadynamics.com
Home - Peter Cambridge & Associates Limited

He does his work out of Protyre in Warwick, so probably not too far from you and a nice distance to test the great improvement on the way home....

"Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You’ve heard she’s mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste. But you would, wouldn’t you?” Jeremy Clarkson on the Brera
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9Ti-alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcG View Post
It'll cost a little more, but it might be worth booking in a session with Perter Cambridge to sort this out as it strays a bit from the normal. I'm not on commission, just a happy customer after he did my Brera and I went from 18" wheels to 19" wheels and changed my springs to Eibach ones somewhere in the middle.

peter@pcadynamics.com
Home - Peter Cambridge & Associates Limited

He does his work out of Protyre in Warwick, so probably not too far from you and a nice distance to test the great improvement on the way home....
Thanks very much indeed. That sounds like just what I need. I've heard very good things about his work and I didn't realise he was so local to me.

May I ask what "ball park" costs are?

Also, does anyone know if anything apart from the front toe settings are actually adjustable on the 159?

James
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Brera S

It was £120. But it's almost worth it just for the chat/insight.
(Post Link) post #57 of 416 Old 06-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Thanks for the pdf....I am still a little confused whether the stated spec is "each side" or "total camber".
Camber is the angle of the wheel to the vertical and can only be measured on each wheel (the only way it could be the total of both wheels is for the machine to be located in the clouds!)

The only adjustments (with screw threads) are 1) Front Toe, 2) Rear Toe & 3) Rear Camber.
But I have speculated before that it might be possible to 'adjust' the front camber by loosening the front sub frame and setting it to the left or right before re-tightening, on the basis that there must be some tolerance on the holes that the bolts go through.
AO Member

Thanks for the clarification.
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9Ti-alike

Quote:
The only adjustments (with screw threads) are 1) Front Toe, 2) Rear Toe & 3) Rear Camber.
Thanks, although on looking at the rear setup of the 159 I can't see any way of adjusting the rear - certainly no screw threads on the rear at all.

Are you sure the rear is adjustable? If it is, any idea how it is achieved?

James
(Post Link) post #60 of 416 Old 10-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Here's the Workshop Manual...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rear Alignment.pdf (104.7 KB, 239 views)
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9Ti-alike

Quote:
Crikey. Never would have guessed it looking at the setup itself. I still don't quite understand the method behind it but it clearly is possible. Even more reason to take the car somewhere that knows what they're doing.

James
(Post Link) post #62 of 416 Old 11-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I think you will find that they are eccentric bolts like the 156. So you undo the nut and then turn the eccentric bolt to move it in or out laterally.

County: Merseyside

Member car:

159 Ti

I've tried to follow this thread, but the tyre house have given me the below readings from their laser alignment:
OSR 3
OSF -3
NSR 2
NSF -2
I can't understand, how these equate to the numbers being quoted on here?
(Post Link) post #64 of 416 Old 17-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
I've tried to follow this thread, but the tyre house have given me the below readings from their laser alignment:
OSR 3
OSF -3
NSR 2
NSF -2
I can't understand, how these equate to the numbers being quoted on here?
Neither can I. They should have given you a print out.

If they mean 'Minutes' (60 Minutes to a degree) the front settings show you have minus 2.5 with a bit of steering wheel off centre. This is OK.

The rear settings don't have enough Toe-In.

I would go back to them and ask some questions!
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

159 1750 TBi TI

Quote:
Are those values for TI or Lusso?

What worries me is that "Standard 0" and "Standard A" differ quite a bit. I have no idea in which standard my car was when it was adjusted.

Have to have alignment done again because my handling is a bit dodgy and the rear feels too wobly on corners.

County: Merseyside

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurin View Post

What worries me is that "Standard 0" and "Standard A" differ quite a bit. I have no idea in which standard my car was when it was adjusted.

Have to have alignment done again because my handling is a bit dodgy and the rear feels too wobly on corners.
My car is a 159 Ti, i.e. with 235/40 ZR 19 tyres
(Post Link) post #67 of 416 Old 20-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurin View Post

I posted the Workshop Manual for the detail on which bolts to adjust, not the settings. The settings appear earlier in this thread.

But, for your information, at the top of the Workshop Manual extract it describes what Standard 0 and Standard A are! (the different weights of the vehicle at the point of testing)
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

159 1750 TBi TI

Quote:
I posted the Workshop Manual for the detail on which bolts to adjust, not the settings. The settings appear earlier in this thread.

But, for your information, at the top of the Workshop Manual extract it describes what Standard 0 and Standard A are! (the different weights of the vehicle at the point of testing)
I did notice the extract. My worry was that I can´t remember how much fuel was in the tank when the alignment was done. Should the alignment always be done with a full tank?
AO Member

HI folks, if your a spud like me, what on earth do I tell the spud at kwik fit to do on 17"?
(Post Link) post #70 of 416 Old 27-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcampbell74 View Post
HI folks, if your a spud like me, what on earth do I tell the spud at kwik fit to do on 17"?
"Good Morning. Can you give me directions to a proper wheel alignment company"
AO Member

Hehe, ok who do you recommend north of the border?
(Post Link) post #72 of 416 Old 28-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcampbell74 View Post
Hehe, ok who do you recommend north of the border?
This was in my post last week...

Welcome to Align My Car
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Old Engineer wrote;"Good Morning. Can you give me directions to a proper wheel alignment company"

Never has a truer word been spoken

If the staff are as intelligent as one I went to in Leeds for a tyre repair recently, you probably struggle be able to understand the reply.

They tried to rip me off , but unfortunately for them, I am aware of tyre legislation, and asked them to put the wheel back on to my car (that they'd taken off) and took my trade elsewhere. All they wanted to do was to maximise their profits.

Sorry to go off topic a bit
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
I have been trying to get a four wheel alignment company that I can trust in the Swindon area. Until yesterday I have come up short with either ill informed or apparently arrogant technicians.

I have now been recommended "Autocolour" in Wootton Bassett; they are primarily a vehicle bodyshop but have their own Hunter equipment. Ok Beissbarth seem to get the highest recommendation but I can’t find anyone local to Swindon with this equipment and the Techs at Autocolour that I have spoken to have listened, checked and treated my queries with both respect and courtesy even reminding me to arrive with a full tank of fuel.

Quoted costs are £65 + VAT for the four wheel alignment including all adjustments and another £35 (one hours labour) for removing the undertray and adjusting the front sub-frame to correct castor and camber.

I may be onto something here - using body shops for this type of alignment. While they may not fully undertstand vehicle dynamics (please no flames if I am wrong) but it will be normal work for them to correct all types of mis-alignment and the costs seem quite competitive.

The car is booked in on Saturday 29th and I will update this after adjustments are completed.
(Post Link) post #75 of 416 Old 20-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Pleased to see a company that will do the sub frame adjustment. Love to see the before and after figures.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
alignment , camber , caster , correct , data , post , steering , wheel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page