Steering Alignment (with Correct Data in Post 1) - Page 14 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

AO Member

County: Norrbotten
Garage
My typo..right specs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0168.jpg (37.1 KB, 164 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

Got the alignment done today on my TI.

Front was set to zero (0.01' on both sides). Front camber is slightly out (-1.43' on left and 1.37' on right). But the real problem is with the rear - toe out is 0.19' on the left and -0.01 on the right. Camber is -1.0' on the left and -1.55' on the right. Right side is beyond any alignment possibilities....

Possible culprits are either springs or right upper wishbone.

When driving however all seems rally fine, with good handling + I think that setting the front to zero made it handle better (before readings were -0.05' L and -0.06' R).

Has anybody had a similar situation with regard to the rear?
(Post Link) post #328 of 415 Old 23-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_mccain View Post
Got the alignment done today on my TI.

Front was set to zero (0.01' on both sides). Front camber is slightly out (-1.43' on left and 1.37' on right). But the real problem is with the rear - toe out is 0.19' on the left and -0.01 on the right. Camber is -1.0' on the left and -1.55' on the right. Right side is beyond any alignment possibilities....

Possible culprits are either springs or right upper wishbone.

When driving however all seems rally fine, with good handling + I think that setting the front to zero made it handle better (before readings were -0.05' L and -0.06' R).

Has anybody had a similar situation with regard to the rear?
That rear setting is odd. I'm assuming that the 19' Toe Out is really Toe In as it has a positive figure. This imbalance should be making the rear crab to the right which will need some right hand steering input to counter act. Have you tried a straight road to check the steering angle?

AO Member

I have a similar uneven rear camber issue -

Rear left: -2deg camber
rear right: -1deg33' camber

Car pulls to the left. I had one alignment shop who at least managed to minimize the pull by setting the rear toe - rear left: +1' rear right +11' . He used a very negative front toe, about -14' each side. Car drives well and pretty straight, but tyres wouldn't last I think but I am on 225/50r17 which are not that expensive to replace.
AO Member

County: Herefordshire
Rear camber is adjustable. Slackening off the rear adjusters and rocking the car from side to side before reseting can work wonders on the front too...
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
A lot of great advice on here, however it means nothing to me! haha. I am getting 4 new tyres tomorrow and having a 4 wheel realignment, would somebody be polite enough to give me some decent figures to give the tyre guys tomorrow?

Its a 2.2 Spider with 235/45/18 wheels.

Grazie
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonnmeister View Post
A lot of great advice on here, however it means nothing to me! haha. I am getting 4 new tyres tomorrow and having a 4 wheel realignment, would somebody be polite enough to give me some decent figures to give the tyre guys tomorrow?

Its a 2.2 Spider with 235/45/18 wheels.

Grazie
Everything as per the data they'll already have, with the exception of the front toe which you want close to 0mm.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
NOTE: some wheel alignment centres will assume that you saying, "set the front to zero" means exactly to manufacturers spec i.e.zero deviation from that.

What you want is total toe set to zero (dead ahead) which will make most modern four wheel alignment machines show red on the print out and screens. Wheel alignment operators don't like seeing that so you will have to be quite specific.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndtimearound View Post
Rear camber is adjustable. Slackening off the rear adjusters and rocking the car from side to side before reseting can work wonders on the front too...
Looking at the alignment printouts the past 1-2 years, some of the workshops did equalize the rear left/right camber, and by doing that they made the front uneven . On the next alignment, the "initial" readings have shown that the camber have gone back to what it was ( rear uneven). Something must be worn/loose somewhere .. I have swapped out the inner/outer tie rods, front upper and lower wishbones. My front uppers started knocking and I replaced them again, hope that this will sort out my alignment woes (still monitoring).

Last edited by cmchong; 03-08-13 at 07:02.

Member car:

147/159/172cup

Question

Booked car in for four wheel alignment (to address uneven wear) at our local tyre place and gave them the link to this thread for information i.e. Old Engineers "Minus 2' +/- 5' per wheel (double for total Toe Out)" and in response they have said that they can set the car to "2+/-2 - This would still represent a very precise outcome."

Just wondering if I'm doing the correct thing in going ahead with this or will it throw something out?

My Car is a 1.9 159SW Lusso with 18" horse shoe wheels.

Many thanks
(Post Link) post #336 of 415 Old 22-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf3000 View Post
Booked car in for four wheel alignment (to address uneven wear) at our local tyre place and gave them the link to this thread for information i.e. Old Engineers "Minus 2' +/- 5' per wheel (double for total Toe Out)" and in response they have said that they can set the car to "2+/-2 - This would still represent a very precise outcome."

Just wondering if I'm doing the correct thing in going ahead with this or will it throw something out?

My Car is a 1.9 159SW Lusso with 18" horse shoe wheels.

Many thanks
Maybe it's lost in translation. Minus 2' (minus two minutes) is the setting. And +/- 5' (plus or minus five minutes) is the allowable tolerance. Therefore the broad banding is anywhere between Minus 7' up to Plus 3'.

If they mean they are setting it at Minus 2' with a tolerance of +/- 2' then they are just saying they will be more accurate.

But your figure doesn't show the first minus sign. So did you forget it or have they?

Last edited by Old Engineer; 22-11-13 at 19:50.

Member car:

147/159/172cup

Thanks

Thanks for this information, sounds like that would be OK then! Will double check on the - (minus). However seized track-rod ends has stopped play for now...
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Get it booked in with Peter Cambridge in Warwick. Best man in the business and the brains behind the Brera S. My Spider was transformed by his realignment.

Member car:

147/159/172cup

Sounds good, unfortunately I live over 200miles away from him! If all else fails then it might be worth the trip!

Member car:

147/159/172cup

Ok after returning to garage following freeing off track rod ends I requested front toe settings as above and everything else to be set in-line with the alignment in the log book collected the car last thing and was handed the alignment printout and they have been set as follows (in degrees) all seems a bit odd to me so hoping someone can tell me if it's wrong or OK and if I need to take it back tomorrow to get sorted:

NSF:

Camber -1 14'
Toe 0 00'

OSF:

Camber -1 24'
Toe 0 00'

NSR

Camber -0 52'
Tow 0 01'

OSR

Camber 0 00'
Toe 0 00'

Thrust Angle 0 00'
(Post Link) post #341 of 415 Old 13-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Front is ok. But rear they've set to zero rather than the factory settings you asked for.

Member car:

147/159/172cup

Ok great! So the rears should be set to:

Camber -0 40' tolerance -0 58' -> -0 22'
Toe +0 13' tolerance +0 06' -> +0 20'

So guess I'll be headed back tomorrow!

Last edited by jamf3000; 14-12-13 at 11:42.

Member car:

147/159/172cup

Ok been back and stayed to explain:

Now at:

NSF:
C -1 17'
T 0 00'

OSF:
C -1 21'
T 0 00'

NSR:
C -0 47'
T -0 09'

OSR:

C -0 36'
T -0 09'
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Just put a new set of 4 tyres on my 159 2.4 JTDm. It's on the 17" wheels and had the tracking 'set to zero' when the old set were put on. I did swap them front to rear when the fronts started getting down a bit, but all 4 tyres had worn evenly right across. Pretty sure that's about 18k miles from the set.

I don't hammer it round the bends mind, but do make full use of the available power
AO Member

Hi all,
I've a 2.0jdtm ti with the 19's. I can visibly see that none of my wheels look he same against bodywork so I'm 100% sure it needs alignment, I put new pirellis on and it drives dead straight and turns in great so I'm reluctant to change but inners dissappearing.. Can someone tell me exact settings i should take to a 4 wheel alignment place in Essex? Also any recommendation on garage?
Cheers
AO Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

2.4 159 ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa1988 View Post
Hi all,
I've a 2.0jdtm ti with the 19's. I can visibly see that none of my wheels look he same against bodywork so I'm 100% sure it needs alignment, I put new pirellis on and it drives dead straight and turns in great so I'm reluctant to change but inners dissappearing.. Can someone tell me exact settings i should take to a 4 wheel alignment place in Essex? Also any recommendation on garage?
Cheers
look at the very first post mate, the info is there
AO Member

Just had mine done, they can't correct camber or caster on front and they seem quite off.
Set to zero on front and it feels freer if that's a word, turn in is less but not too disappointing.
See attached pics, should I invest in adjustable top wishbones on front?
AO Member

Pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.0 KB, 28 views)
AO Member

Excuse the posts it won't add images...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.3 KB, 26 views)
AO Member

County: Durham
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 2.2 Brera

Had a thought on chamber adjustment. The lower wishbone front bush is offset to oneside, can you turn it 180 degrees and rebolt back in. This would effectively pull the wishbone in the reduce the camber?

Any idea if its possible?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
alignment , camber , caster , correct , data , post , steering , wheel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page