Steering Alignment (with Correct Data in Post 1) - Page 13 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lui View Post
Can someone please help.
I had a new set of tyres fitted in July/August and since then 12000 miles later MOT advisory shows inner wear on fronts near close to the wear band.
I had my wheels set as attached yet I'm still scrubbing the inside edge on the fronts but rears are wearing nice and even. Can anyone provide me with a setting for a 159 2.4 ti with the 19inch rims. Any advise will be better than none.

Thanks
Lui
Lets be honest 12k and getting close to TWI for MOT is not the end of the world for a heavy powerful performance saloon. We never set our toe to 0 in my opinion it gives a dead and on the motorway a floaty feel. Also your alignment is done on Hunter equipment which is quick and easy to use a give a pretty print off for the customer but does not take run out on the wheels into consideration, Alfa wheels can easily be out by 25 minuets

You are welcome to being it in an we can look at the alignment

Today I drove properly for the first time the 159 Ti 1750 we did our new Autolusso/Powerflex adjustable setup on and I have to say it is the best driving 159 I have ever driven by miles, total transformation, pushing hard I was getting it nicely sideways on the roundabouts (Quaife now required)

Ned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
The settings are in Post Number 1.
But I'm worried about the difference in Camber and Caster on your front axle. They're not adjustable so I'd be looking for damage or worn joints. The nearside bottom wishbone might be sitting back further than it should.
They are now

Ned
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post

Today I drove properly for the first time the 159 Ti 1750 we did our new Autolusso/Powerflex adjustable setup on and I have to say it is the best driving 159 I have ever driven by miles, total transformation, pushing hard I was getting it nicely sideways on the roundabouts (Quaife now required)

Ned
Erm...
I felt like I was kidnapped in my own car
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
I think 12,000 from a 2.4 159 is reasonable when driven spiritedly. However, driven very carefully they might get to 20,000.
AO Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
............. your alignment is done on Hunter equipment which is quick and easy to use a give a pretty print off for the customer but does not take run out on the wheels into consideration, Alfa wheels can easily be out by 25 minuets ........
I changed my fronts (from new) at 12,300 miles when the wear was down to 3mm on inside and 5mm on outside. (I know I could have got a few more miles, but I was about to do some serious long-distance driving.) I had the toe set to 0 at the same time. (On Hunter equipment with the pretty print-off!) I’ve now done 7,000 on the new tyres and the wear’s down to 4.5mm on inside and 5.5mm on outside. I am a ‘spirited’ driver, so not too disappointed by the rate of wear but am surprised by the unevenness. Having followed these posts I was expecting better.

Also, having got to grips with ‘toe,’ ‘caster’ and ‘camber’, you’ve now thrown in another parameter – ‘run out’ (and you say Alfa wheels can be out by 25 minutes.) Can someone please explain what this parameter is – and should I worry?
Lucky Lui

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Are your tyres the correct spec and are you using the correct pressures?
Hi David, thanks for getting back to me.
I'm on Accelera 235/40/R19 96Y all round, couldn't afford to replace the P-Zero's knowing the turbo needed replacing.
As for tyre pressures, I don't check weekly and as they don't change, at least once a month they get a top up of about 2-3 psi.

I'm not a fast driver either, like to stick it in cruise and sit back as my drive is over an hour each way.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm on Accelera 235/40/R19 96Y all round, couldn't afford to replace the P-Zero's knowing the turbo needed replacing.
As for tyre pressures, I don't check weekly and as they don't change, at least once a month they get a top up of about 2-3 psi.
Fronts are 2.7Bar (39PSI) up to 3.0Bar (43.5PSI) for full loads.
Quite high, but they need to be.
As others have said, 12000miles isn't appalling, especially if there isn't a big difference between inner edge wear and the rest of the tyre.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

This is the email Powerflex sent out today the kit we have developed with them

Powerflex - Progression in Suspension

Doing another one today

Ned
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:

I'm not a fast driver either, like to stick it in cruise and sit back as my drive is over an hour each way.
Would you like to bring the car in so we can look at it on our alignment machine

Also we can do you a mega deal on a brand new turbo if that is what you need

Ned
Lucky Lui

Quote:
This is the email Powerflex sent out today the kit we have developed with them

Powerflex - Progression in Suspension

Doing another one today

Ned
Ned, I really must get over to see your outfit.
What's the cost for fitting these to my 159?

Lucky Lui

Quote:
Would you like to bring the car in so we can look at it on our alignment machine

Also we can do you a mega deal on a brand new turbo if that is what you need

Ned
Ned, sounds like a plan, turbo DPF/EGR and map all done by Alfatune's Gus in September.
What's the cost for alignment, had it done after I put these tyres on, cost was £48 which was cheap. I do recall hey couldn't adjust everything as a couple of (whatever gets adjusted) were seized so the front left camber was out, see my post 3 days ago for my measurements.

Last edited by Lucky Lui; 15-02-13 at 10:50.

AO Member

County: -
Guys, next week i am going to fit new tires (225/50 R17) on my 159, 1.9, 2007. Could somebody please be so kind to point on the information which i need to bring to the fitters place and tell him, please follow these numbers?

It seems that out of all information in this thread i am not able to take out what is important for me.

Thank you in advance.
(Post Link) post #313 of 415 Old 02-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
It's in Post Number 1
AO Member

County: -
Thank you very much, these settings should be applied on every model of 159? On each and every tyre size?
(Post Link) post #315 of 415 Old 04-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Yes
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto
I've been using toe to zero since day one on my 159. And it has solved the tyre problem.

Now, I'm about to change my springs to the TI ones. What are the values I should use for the wheel alignment since I'm on 18" wheels... and I still want my tyres to give me about 30.000kms!

Thanks!
AO Gold Member

County: Western Cape
Throttleman, I have one of the later Ti's with the black 18" wheels. I got 25000km on my tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics) and have fitted another set. These tires are soft and don't last very long so I was surprised at the milage that I got. All 4 tires lasted the same distance although the tires were rotated at 10000km. They wore pretty evenly. Spec since new was exactly as given in the manual.
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto
That sounds good, Ian, thanks!

So I'll have the alignment done like a TI plus toe to zero.
AO Member

County: Antrim
Can someone link me to or copy the setting I need for a 2.4 159Ti? I have looked through this and there are so many im not sure which ones to use!

Thanks
(Post Link) post #320 of 415 Old 10-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

It's very clear in Post Number 1
AO Member

County: Antrim
Ok thanks, Just wasnt sure if anyone had found new setting or not.

Cheers
AO Member

County: Norrbotten
Garage
Adjusted mine yesterday, an new Toe front to -0.01 and -0.13 rear.

Had problem before with unstable rear in higher speeds and uneven tyrewear.. all solved now!

Took it to..top speed without any sign of strange shaking, wobbling and such (more than normal)

County: Wrexham
Just had mine done -

Original was - [Front -0.39] and [Rear +0.22]

Now it is set at - [Front -0.01] and [Rear +0.25]

The front I was clear about - set it to ZERO... even though he suggested this would increase inner edge wear.

The rear I wasn't so sure so took his strong advice to go as he suggested. This Rear +0.25 seems to be quite different to Malheaus -0.13... so which is correct!?
(Post Link) post #324 of 415 Old 21-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbob View Post
Just had mine done -

Original was - [Front -0.39] and [Rear +0.22]

Now it is set at - [Front -0.01] and [Rear +0.25]

The front I was clear about - set it to ZERO... even though he suggested this would increase inner edge wear.

The rear I wasn't so sure so took his strong advice to go as he suggested. This Rear +0.25 seems to be quite different to Malheaus -0.13... so which is correct!?
Malheaus is wrong. It should be PLUS on the rears. Also you must note that the settings are usually given as "per side". So for a Ti rear; +11' (minutes) per side is +22' Total Toe In. Non Ti is +13' per side. So your rears are about right and I wouldn't worry. Fronts are perfect!
AO Member

County: Norrbotten
Garage
*Edit* I am wrong with the text, but I was tired when adjusting and now im not sure if it was positive or negative! Have to look on papers..

Last edited by Malheus; 22-05-13 at 04:47.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
alignment , camber , caster , correct , data , post , steering , wheel