Spider buying advice please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 20-01-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

Spider buying advice please

Hi all, consideringbuying a Spider (or Brera!-can't decide) and am after some info. I have owned an S3 in the past, and 2000 2.0 TS. I have not been able to test drive one yet and wondered just how noisy they are with the roof up as I occasionally do a long drive up the country?

Owned loads of other convertibles in past (Merc SL, Boxster, Saab Aero etc) and the best ever was a Jag XK8. It honestly felt like a hardtop with the roof up and was near as dammit as quiet.

Thinking of the 2.2 as I am going off diesel (no - I have never really taken to them!) and would look at having the Mangoletsi mod done I have briefly read about somewhere on here.

Any feedback would be most welcome, owned 5 Alfas in the past and keep coming back!!
Sponsored Links
Regional Support South
Is there a meet near you?
County: Surrey
Definately very quiet with the roof up, it has a five layer lining I think so very quiet and warm, did quite a few long drives in it and was always very comfortable. One of the things the Spider does very well is motorway cruising, always thought it was more of a GT than an out and out sportscar. I had the 2.4 Diesel which was not too intrusive for a convertible just a nice growl to it.

It's not too shabby with the roof down either with the deflector, can quite happily go along at 70+ with little wind buffering.

AO Stickers and Merchandise Now Available - See Below Links
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 20-01-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

Thanks Jon. I actually prefer the idea of a GT, too many cameras these days!! I have a motorbike anyway for my wee blasts to clear the system. Think I need to get a test drive really, miss the character of Alfas and although there are tremendous other cars on the market for the money I end up finding they just don't have any soul.

Thanks again.
AO Member
County: Durham

Member car:

156 SW 1.8

I'd echo Jon's comments. I don't think it's any louder than an average hard top when the roof is up, and the deflector means its also very comfortable with the roof down. Heated seats and the excellent climate control make it really nice and warm in winter, you can happily drive with the roof down even when it's not far above freezing.

Also agree about it being more of a GT. Stick the cruise control on and it's perfect on the motorway.

Mine will be for sale shortly if you're interested...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

advice , buying , spider