condensation in rear lights - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AwB

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 17-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Brera

condensation in rear lights

My 56 Brera's rear lights have just started steaming up in wet weather or when she gets cleaned. Is it a case of the lights aren't sealed properly? So, do I have to take them off, thoroughly dry them and refit very tightly? If so, is it an awkward job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiebear View Post
My 56 Brera's rear lights have just started steaming up in wet weather or when she gets cleaned. Is it a case of the lights aren't sealed properly? So, do I have to take them off, thoroughly dry them and refit very tightly? If so, is it an awkward job?
There are breathers in all 'sealed' light clusters to equalise the pressure within the housing with that of the ambient air -During long damp spells the air inside may not get sufficiently warmed to drive off all the moisture. The larger the interior volume the greater the problem....usually. However, if the water has visibly gathered or 'pooled' it means there's a leak somewhere.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
I ended up replacing the near side rear light cluster on my 159 due to excessive water/condensation a while back.
It would happen at the slightest drop of rain or at every washing. I tried taking it out, re-sealing around and replacing carefully, still the same.
The new one will on the odd occasion mist up slightly, but it seems to be as harleyriv says.

So if it is a constant thing i would suggest a try at removing and re-sealing, if not, leave it maybe?

AO Silver Member

County: Cork
My car was 6 months old and noticed this problem... The local dealership simply left the lights on (including brake lights) for 30mins in the workshop while they worked on other warranty issues... I know this because I walked into the 'off limits' workshop...

This seemed to fix the problem... for a while..

The car is 3.5 years old now and I'm noticing the same issue again... must try the 'lights-on' approach again in the garage some night....(connected to a battery booster).
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire

Member car:

GT 3.2V6

Just drive with lights on.... isnt this going to be law soon anyway, even just sidelights as the rear cluster will be on...

Mine do this occasionally but very rare and dissappears quickly but then I always drive with lights on (folowing accidents with people saying "oh i didnt see you").... I have had my fog lights changed 3x under warranty though and was given the put lights on rubbish.... which I then replied with its illegal to use them unless its foggy etc so 99% of the time they will be fogged up and look awful and then go green etc ugghh, so they changed them....

Past 1999 - Grigio Chiaro, 156 2.0 T-Spark SP1 - 2007 - Strombolli 159 1.9JTDM LUSSO SW + Alfatune DPF Removal/Map --- Present 2005 - Strombolli GT 3.2 V6
Nev

The LHS one on my Brera got so bad I ended up
removing it, carefully drilled some holes and
gently dried it out over 48 hours.

Then plugged the holes and sealed all joints screw
holes and mounting bolt with. Clear sealant.

Et voila!

Front fogs are worse. The crome refectors actually oxidise.

AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns159 View Post
Just drive with lights on.... .
This didn't fix it for my car (159). I always drive with lights on but this problem occured at around 6 months. The main dealer let the car sit in the garage workshop with the brake-lights on for >30mins.. they stuffed some pole against my seat to keep the peddle pressed.... wasn't happy about that tbh!! but it seemed to work...
(Post Link) post #8 of 19 Old 18-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera

Thanks for suggestions. This may seem strange but the asthetics bother me more than the safety, well it is an Alfa! I will keep a watch on it and try a couple of the ideas. If leaving lights on gets rid of it, they must get very warm!
AO Silver Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Not just an Alfa thing, my previous Volvo was a sucker for this. As was my Fiat Stilo.

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Brera

Rear Light Cluster on Brera

Hello to all,

I am new to Alfaowner.com.
I have just purchased my first car and it is an Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2 JTS SV in Black.

I have just noticed that the Left Side Rear Light cluster is starting to mist up and build condensation.

Can anyone help with locating a whole new cluster or a Second hand one?

Many Thanks,
D
AwB
AO Member

Thread revival!!

No need to buy a replacement. After sitting for a while on a camber, my (ex)Brera had serious condensation and a small puddle in the RHS cluster.

It was very easy to remove the cluster with a 10mm deep-socket (guide on here somewhere) and it was immediately obvious that the foam/rubber gasket which fits between the cluster and the car body was mis-aligned and needed re positioning.

In terms of removing the misting, I shook the cluster to get the big drops out, then after some serious trial and error (heating, cooling, hair-dryers, lights on, swearing, etc) the method that worked INSTANTLY was a vacuum cleaner hose! Suck out moist air from a lamp hole and draw in dry air from other lamp holes and other gaps. After 5 mins it was as good as new and with the gasket fixed the misting never returned.
Temple60 likes this.

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Brera

Many Thanks for the tip. I will give that a go.

If that doesnt work and there actually is a crack on main body of the cluster. Does anyone no if I need one, somewhere where I can get hold of a rear cluster cheap?

Thanks,
D

County: -Berkshire
I know this is a long time after the last posting - but I have just taken your advice:
I took out the panel in the rear of the boot. This exposes 3 nuts for which you will need a deep 10mm socket.
There is a fourth behind a circular plastic blanking plate.
Unclip the cable and remove the light cluster.
I then took out all of the bulbs and sucked the air out of one socekt with a vacuum cleaner.
The lense had alot of water in it - but within 10 minutes it was bone dry.
I have now sealed the unit by masking around the entire red edge of the lense and the black edge of the housing - there is about a 2mm gap.
I have filled the gap with black mastic (silicone sealant).
I also plan to re-attach the foam gasket with some mastic before I re-assemble.
It seems like a complete job but only time will tell!
AO Member

County: -Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavLav View Post
I know this is a long time after the last posting - but I have just taken your advice:
I took out the panel in the rear of the boot. This exposes 3 nuts for which you will need a deep 10mm socket.
There is a fourth behind a circular plastic blanking plate.
Unclip the cable and remove the light cluster.
I then took out all of the bulbs and sucked the air out of one socekt with a vacuum cleaner.
The lense had alot of water in it - but within 10 minutes it was bone dry.
I have now sealed the unit by masking around the entire red edge of the lense and the black edge of the housing - there is about a 2mm gap.
I have filled the gap with black mastic (silicone sealant).
I also plan to re-attach the foam gasket with some mastic before I re-assemble.
It seems like a complete job but only time will tell!
I have the same problem on my 2011 Brera - LHS rear light just fogs up and has water inside after every rain/ wash - thanks for the advice above - will try the vacuum cleaner - sealant approach
AO Member

County: -Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple60 View Post
I have the same problem on my 2011 Brera - LHS rear light just fogs up and has water inside after every rain/ wash - thanks for the advice above - will try the vacuum cleaner - sealant approach
An update on this issue - all is now fixed - took the advice of the forum and got the panel beaters to remove the light bracket and re-check that they had kinked the gasket and of course they had - so all fixed and this time they did a water leak test (thought they would do that the first 2 occasions but no) and all seems tight now and no leaks so it was certainly a kinked gasket in my case. Thanks Alfa Owners Forum.
AO Member

County: -kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple60 View Post
An update on this issue - all is now fixed - took the advice of the forum and got the panel beaters to remove the light bracket and re-check that they had kinked the gasket and of course they had - so all fixed and this time they did a water leak test (thought they would do that the first 2 occasions but no) and all seems tight now and no leaks so it was certainly a kinked gasket in my case. Thanks Alfa Owners Forum.
Condensation started appearing in the o/s rear light cluster after using a jet wash on the car;previously only ever used standard hose and bucket and sponge and no problems.I've decided today to remove the light cluster and address the problem according to the info.found on this thread.Hopefully the fixit will be for good.I dont think its a good idea to drive water under pressure into the intimate parts of an Alfa,during winter maybe just to wash salt and grime from the skirts and underside.
AO Member

Garage
I get occasional misting in both rear lights (more regularly in the passenger side), from both water from rain and washing and also from sunlight. It always seems to clear after a while. Is it worth getting a new light or is it just an unfortunate trait of these clusters thanks to their abnormally large cavities?
AO Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamBates View Post
I get occasional misting in both rear lights (more regularly in the passenger side), from both water from rain and washing and also from sunlight. It always seems to clear after a while. Is it worth getting a new light or is it just an unfortunate trait of these clusters thanks to their abnormally large cavities?
Had the same problem to one degree or another, driver side was worse on mine.
Dried them out several times but this never lasted very long, went around each cluster with a black sealer which improved them a lot, I also ensured the sponge gaskets were correctly fitted but again I found a similar foam and made 2 news ones, again a further improvement.
Eventually, I drilled 2 x 2.5mm holes in the bottom of each cluster, now I tend to get a very small condensation issue in one corner but this quickly clears.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topic View Post
Had the same problem to one degree or another, driver side was worse on mine.
Dried them out several times but this never lasted very long, went around each cluster with a black sealer which improved them a lot, I also ensured the sponge gaskets were correctly fitted but again I found a similar foam and made 2 news ones, again a further improvement.
Eventually, I drilled 2 x 2.5mm holes in the bottom of each cluster, now I tend to get a very small condensation issue in one corner but this quickly clears.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly be taking a closer look if it gets any worse.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
condensation , lights , rear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page