159 Tyres Recommendation - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 11-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
159 Tyres Recommendation

Sorry guys, a real idiot question here.

My 159 (06 plate) has had to have the front tyres replaced 4 times in the past year over about 32,000 miles. There is something that seems to occasionally wear the inside of the drivers side tyre (which I'm trying to deal with) but the wear on the tyre generally is too much.

When I have had them replaced the tyre fitters have just gone with the economy tyres. I did ask if it would be better paying more but they said that the compound of the cheaper would wear better (??).

It's not just the cost of replacing the tyres that is annoying me but the regularity of replacements!

Any suggestions on decent replacements would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Get the car's wheels aligned by someone that knows what they are doing first of all..

What size tyres do you need?
AO Member
You could look at the tyres "threadware" which is printed on the tyres side wall. The higher the number the less wear there will be. Eg tyres recommended on the 159; Bridgestone RE050A threadwear: 140, Continental Sportcontact threadwear 280, but if you change to less sporty tyres the wearability goes up, with less grip and a harder rubber compound you would expect wear to be less.

But just look at the printed threadware number on the tyres sidewall: Higher number=lasts longer

Since you drive an Alfa you might also be interested in the way the car will handle. And that is very much dependent on the tyre choice...but thats another matter...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , recommendation , tyres