Squeaky drivers seat - TI - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 10-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Bratislavsky
Squeaky drivers seat - TI

Hi,

I've noticed a squeaky sound comming from my seat when accelerating, breaking or driving through bumps. I did an investigation yesterday and found out it's somehow connected with rear seat hight positioning. I like to sit very deap so while rear of the seat is on the lowest position the front is on highest. Anyway when I pump the rear lever one or two times it disappears. However I'd like to keep it on the bottom without any sounds.

There is another thing that might has anything to do with it. The rubber with hook fixing the back-rest leather cover to the bottom of the seat. It was disconnected recently however I did not find a right position to cure the squeak.

Does anyone has the same problem. Did you find a solution?

AR 166 3.2 TI
AR 159 SW TI - 2.0 JTD
AR 156 GTA Q2
AR 145 QV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

Same problem here. Left it with my dealer, they said it was fixed but the noise is still present...
aweekes

Same here but on a Lusso. For me it was the seat belt mounting bracket rubbing either the seat trim or part of the seat frame. Used silicon spray in area and it's gone, for now.....

(Post Link) post #4 of 31 Old 10-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Seat belt? Really? Haven't though about that. Will give it a try. Hope it would be so easy.
AO Member

County: West Midlands
I had the same problem but located the squeek somewhere along the seat frame near the seat belt tensioner adjacent to the centre console.

A quick spray of wd40, wiped off the excees and problem solved
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage
There was a thread somewhere about fixing it, usually with silicone spray IIRC and describing what sounded like a bit of a faff.

It was one of my niggles mentioned in my sig. Came on after about a year. Would it do it when the dealer came out with me? No. I go home and it came back. They sprayed some silicone on and it was still there -annoying me no end on lightly uneven surfaces.

Then...oddly and for no apparent reason, the squeak vanished after a few months of intermittent irritation.
AO Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

Various Alfa's

squeaks aer generaly causes by something rubbing on the leather i,e centre console or seatbelt buckle, a coating of leather conditioner in these areas usualy sorts it out, not sure id want to put silicone spray or wd40 on my leather seats.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
The Ti seats are multi fabric (leather, PVC & Cloth) so I don't think that helps much.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage
They put it on the underside of the seat.
(Post Link) post #10 of 31 Old 07-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Solved

My dealer did not fix the problem. They've lubed the whole rails mechanism however noise remained there.

Anyway it seems I solved it myself. Although I've lubed the springs inside the back of the seat as well as the bottom and the back operation mechanism the noise was comming from the seat to the bottom attachment.

There are two mothers on each side in the back attaching the seat to the rails mechanism. Although they seemd to be OK I've tighten them even more and the squeaking disappeared. At least in my case.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

yetyGT, any pics as I need to see into my noises...
(Post Link) post #12 of 31 Old 14-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_mccain View Post
yetyGT, any pics as I need to see into my noises...
Sure, I'll try to shoot some today / tomorrow. However it's nothing special. Really. I'd try to fasten the screws holding the seat to the rail moving mechanism first. Anyway I'll post some pictures for you.
(Post Link) post #13 of 31 Old 14-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Guide

As promised here are some pictures. It's a passengers seat in my case however looks the same on the other side as well.

1. I've marked the joint. The can be open by pulling them away (picture 3) after disconnecting the hooks as seen on picture 2.
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/2656/ar159seat01.jpg

2. Hooks holding leather on place.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/289/ar159seat02.jpg

3. Opening the back of the leather.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3705/ar159seat03.jpg

4. I did not open it completely which is not necessary at the end. You just need to apply some lube inside especially on springs (there is one on both side). I've used a chain lube which is sticky and remains on place.
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1827/ar159seat04.jpg

5. And finally screws holding the seat attached to the rails moving mechanism. I believe the noise was comming from here.
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/4951/ar159seat05.jpg
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

Fantastic! Thanks a lot for the effort. Will attempt this weekend. Chain lube - good idea, will stay longer than silicone spray probably.
(Post Link) post #15 of 31 Old 24-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_mccain View Post
Fantastic! Thanks a lot for the effort. Will attempt this weekend. Chain lube - good idea, will stay longer than silicone spray probably.
Did you manage to fix it?
AO Member

Member car:

I need some help i have the same problem , i am not able to get rid of the squeeking how do i open the seat the way you did in pic 3 ? did the sound disapear 100 % i am going craazy
(Post Link) post #17 of 31 Old 25-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadwakim View Post
I need some help i have the same problem , i am not able to get rid of the squeeking how do i open the seat the way you did in pic 3 ? did the sound disapear 100 % i am going craazy
To open it just disconnect the hooks from the bottom and start from the bottom. It should go well without much force applied.

However try the screws holding the seat first! It's very easy to do and if it helps you don't have to open the seat anymore.

In my case it has removed all the squeaky noise.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetyGT View Post
My dealer did not fix the problem. They've lubed the whole rails mechanism however noise remained there.

Anyway it seems I solved it myself. Although I've lubed the springs inside the back of the seat as well as the bottom and the back operation mechanism the noise was comming from the seat to the bottom attachment.

There are two mothers on each side in the back attaching the seat to the rails mechanism. Although they seemd to be OK I've tighten them even more and the squeaking disappeared. At least in my case.
Hi yetyGT,

Since a couple of months I also have the same problem with my seat and I also think it comes from the frame of the backrest. I checked your post with some pics but I couldnt see the pics. Is there a chance you can upload them again? Thanks a lot!
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
A lot of 159 seats squeak because the seat foam rubbs on metal base or other metal elements. Squeaking may depend on seat lift or rest tilt (at least temporarily).
On Sunday I took my driver seat out, then while pressin foam I coudl hear it squeaking. I took old t-shirt, made of thick material, cut it to 2 big rectangles (as big as possible, as well as made 2 narrower, and a few smaller out shoulder part, then fit the cloths between foam and the metal support base under the seat and under the rest, as well as between foam and metal sides of the rest. All goes in tightly, so I hope it won't move from current position ever.
Since then no single squeak.
Picture of base after the job looks as on attached pic. Just in case I also sprayed metal moving elements/mechanisms of the seat with clean spray grease.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161016_200952.jpg (34.3 KB, 23 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Mine used to squeek. I sprayed a heavy spray greese into the foam / metal areas over a few days and its been fine for a couple of years. Just undo the back while its in the car and use your hand to make space for the spray with a nozle/pipe
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Mine used to squeek. I sprayed a heavy spray greese into the foam / metal areas over a few days and its been fine for a couple of years. Just undo the back while its in the car and use your hand to make space for the spray with a nozle/pipe
Yes.....but how do I undo the back?
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
The centre panel just pulls away from the two side panels. It's two u clips holding onto each other the full length. There is also a set of clips on elastic under the seat from the back. Just reach under and undo them.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsonix View Post
A lot of 159 seats squeak because the seat foam rubbs on metal base or other metal elements. Squeaking may depend on seat lift or rest tilt (at least temporarily).
On Sunday I took my driver seat out, then while pressin foam I coudl hear it squeaking. I took old t-shirt, made of thick material, cut it to 2 big rectangles (as big as possible, as well as made 2 narrower, and a few smaller out shoulder part, then fit the cloths between foam and the metal support base under the seat and under the rest, as well as between foam and metal sides of the rest. All goes in tightly, so I hope it won't move from current position ever.
Since then no single squeak.
Picture of base after the job looks as on attached pic. Just in case I also sprayed metal moving elements/mechanisms of the seat with clean spray grease.
Ah interesting. So that is the section where you actually sit on and NOT the backrest right? So you took our seat out of the car and pealed away the leather or something or didnt you peal anything away and just put some cloth between the metal frame and the foam of the sitting area?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetyGT View Post
As promised here are some pictures. It's a passengers seat in my case however looks the same on the other side as well.

1. I've marked the joint. The can be open by pulling them away (picture 3) after disconnecting the hooks as seen on picture 2.
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/2656/ar159seat01.jpg

2. Hooks holding leather on place.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/289/ar159seat02.jpg

3. Opening the back of the leather.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3705/ar159seat03.jpg

4. I did not open it completely which is not necessary at the end. You just need to apply some lube inside especially on springs (there is one on both side). I've used a chain lube which is sticky and remains on place.
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1827/ar159seat04.jpg

5. And finally screws holding the seat attached to the rails moving mechanism. I believe the noise was comming from here.
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/4951/ar159seat05.jpg
Very interesting...I am not able to see the pics. Is there a chance you can upload a pic again of 5) to check how these screws look like? These are not bolts right?
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaliNL View Post
Ah interesting. So that is the section where you actually sit on and NOT the backrest right? So you took our seat out of the car and pealed away the leather or something or didnt you peal anything away and just put some cloth between the metal frame and the foam of the sitting area?
I put cloth into both rest and sit, and without taking out leather/foams. But... the fix worked maybe 2 weeks, and seat started squeaking more and more again. Last weekend i took sit off again, this time took out foams with top material out, so i had fully stripped metal frame to deal with. I wrapped all metal parts which are or can be in contact with foam, with wide bandage(4x 5m rolls used) , as this was the way somebody recommended to me. I left also the cloths, just had opportunity to install them better. pics of rest ammendments here:
https://goo.gl/photos/BkxEoMfXfSaiZPA3A
https://goo.gl/photos/ohngPbpHTPJiytFb9

I did similar to seat part as well.

All assembled, but seat still squeaks (just less).
Plan for this weekend is to put more grease into metal rails and other mechanisms, and inspect the mounting points to car body(where the screws go) as i started having impression it squeaks there.

I'm also interested what yetyGT did exactly, without his pics working, I do not quite get what he did exactly. I'll ask him on PM to reupload pictures

Last edited by epsonix; 2 Days Ago at 10:47.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
drivers , seat , squeaky