Brera S + 19" Pirellis = Crap In Snow - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Glasgow

Member car:

166 3.0 V6 Super

No worries Braiiking!

It's just that there have been a few people on the winter-related threads who have assumed that getting stuck in a little snow must be an Alfa issue rather than a common sense one!

Cherb - I may be wrong but I think you can only go down to 18s with a TI due to Brembo's and clearance on bumps?

Ideally, a full set of winter set of wheels/tyres is the way to go from say Nov-Mar.
If it's too expensive or storage issues, put winter tyres on the front if FWD (same ratings etc if possible)
Autosocks in boot as well for emergencies or if winter tyres are out the question.

Merry Christmas everyone and safe driving
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cork
Originally Posted by ultraviola View Post

Cherb - I may be wrong but I think you can only go down to 18s with a TI due to Brembo's and clearance on bumps?
Thanks for the info on the wheel sizes....
Originally Posted by ultraviola View Post
No worries Braiiking!

Yes you are wrong I'm afraid.

A Ti will take either 225-50 x 17 or 235-45 x 18 as described in the manual. The 17 inch will take "Spider type" chains but you can't fit chains on anything else - and a Ti won't take 16 inch wheels.
The difference in diameter is about 14mm according to the internet calculator - ie the 17 inch wheel would ride about 7mm lower - not a big deal unless you live in one of these speedbump-ridden hell holes in which case you might choose to shed a few pounds by going on a diet to restore the ride height lol
AO Silver Member
That's wierd. I have a normal Brera with R18 45 235 P Zero Neros (i.e. summer tyres) and I have been pleasantly surprised at how reasonable it is in the snow. Much preferrable to our BMW 3series, but that's always going to be rubbish in the snow as it's rear wheel drive.
AO Member
Originally Posted by alfared159 View Post
I'll be getting labeled a bore if I'm not careful, but I cannot say enough good things about the Uniroyal rainsport 2 tyres when it comes to grip in snow. I guess it is a summer tyre in essence, but over the last few days I can safely say I have never had a tyre with such good grip and stopping ability in the white stuff.

If you need to buy tyres, get 'em!
I totally agree, superb tyres whatever the weather. It is a summer tyre but with a high silica content to deal with wet conditions, snow is wet is it not and even the ice hasn't been a problem.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera s 19 , crap , pirellis , snow