newbie with a 159 power loss issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-12-10 Thread Starter
County: Durham

Member car:

159 1.9

newbie with a 159 power loss issue

Hi All

A few months ago I bought a 159 1.9 diesel, on an 07 plate with 30K on the clock. I had no problems at all in the first few months, but the last two weeks things have gone downhill.

The car is failing to deliver power and seems reluctant to rev when started in the morning. Typically it will limp away and I can't get it to go above 5mph. Then all of a sudden the revs swoop up quickly and the power returns. I have experienced this on first starting the car in the morning and also when dropping down from third to second gear, typically when driving up to and around roundabouts.

This usually only happens on short journeys to and from work (1-2 miles), and I don't seem to have the issue once the car has been on the motorway (driving 200 miles, midlands to north east each week).

Sometimes on start up there is a bad smell for a few seconds which led me to believe I could have contaminated diesel. I added Redex to the tank and refilled. This made a difference on the first fill up, but I refilled again this week and the problem has recurred.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Brera S

First guess would be a sticking egr valve.

There are threads on cleaning them as they are easy to get at but often a new one is needed.

I believe refurbished ones are about 50 and take a few mins to fit. Or expect around 150 fitted at an indie for a new one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , issue , loss , newbie , power