WARNING: Plastic coolant plugs on 2.4 JTDm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dorset
WARNING: Plastic coolant plugs on 2.4 JTDm

I thought I'd sussed the known plastic coolant valve issue on the 2.4 JTDm. On the front of the engine, underneath the silver cover, there's a black plastic bleed valve. I checked mine, it was fine but planned on changing it at the next service.

However 1 day before the service, I noticed that the heater was blowing out cold air. Soon after the temp gauge flicked up and then down. It takes a lot of temperature change for these heavily damped gauges to register anything other than 90 degrees! Fortunately, this was only 1/2 mile from home.

Having identified that I was losing coolant, but with no obvious sign of where it was going, I called the AA. They found an additional black plastic bleed valve at the back of the engine, next to the bulkhead in the centre of the car. This had snapped leaving just part of the screwthread in the hole.

Refilled and carefully drove the 2 miles to the dealer where it is awaiting metal replacements.

Just thought I'd check that everyone knew that there are at least TWO plastic valves. I think I was lucky that I noticed and that I was driving at the time instead of my wife!

Ian A.

PS. They're also changing the oil cooler pipes behind the grill which were quite corroded in places. Wouldn't want them to fail and have a significant oil leak!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

thanks for the heads up on that one ian
AO Member
County: Zuid Holland
Very lucky you watched your temp gauge!

Can you please your dealer ask for the AR part numbers of the metal replacement parts?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

coolant , jtdm , plastic , plugs , warning