Heater blower fan has stopped - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 30-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Heater blower fan has stopped

After a burning smell in the cabin, my Heater blower fan has stopped working in my 159JTDM. I've checked all the fuses in the fuse box below the fog light switches (rhs of steering wheel) and the relays appear all to fuction. Perhaps there is another fuse or relay located in the footwheel area? I'll have to investigate as it's a bit nippy in the car and the windows now steam up quickly without the nooky ha ha.

Any ideas appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 16 Old 08-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Drunk

I've finally got to the cause of the Problem. The connection to the blower resister was a bit dodgy. The connector was loose and the high current going through it had cooked the circuit board and plastics (smells like burning and TCP).

The resister is hidden beside the blower at the passengers footwell. According to the Alfa dealer the part number is 7736-3393 and costs around 80 to replace.

Not a big job to change, just remove a tray of carpet above the passenger footwell, remove two connectors and then it's just two nuts to replace the part.

County: Essex
i have a similar problem...but one of my connectors has badly melted...please advise>>>

AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

147 2.0TS

I have the same problem as marque1uk. Looks like a previous owner had tried a repair on the wire using lots of insulation tape. This has all melted leaving exposed wires!!.. The connector pretty much shattered when I was trying to remove it so guess the whole thing was running very hot.
Can these connectors be bought?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1382
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

I've just had a similar problem with the Mrs's Signum , resistor went

I know their different cars but I just replaced the fuse on top of the resistor with one from Maplins 89p and its working as usual again

Have the 159 resistors got fuses on them
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0TS

A ray of hope for you all. Especially for "marque1uk"
As I posted before mine was in a terrible state, I thought I would have to replace the resistor pack (52485218) and also part of the wiring harness as my connector/cables were so badly melted and fused into the resistor pack.

But... following a bit of research on the internet, I have found that the resistor pack is a common part shared with the Renault Laguna 2. Five minutes more research I found a resistor pack and the sub wiring harness off a Laguna for 12 + 2 p&p from a breakers yard.
The harness is different enough for me to not want to replace the whole lot.. but the connectors on it were easily snipped and re-connected to my existing loom.

If it is just the connectors you need... again available from a Laguna 2 sub-loom for a couple of quid, but I wouldn't use that loom as a replacement.

Everything is now working perfectly.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
I have just fixed this on my wife's 07 plate 159. In the passenger footwell below the glove box is a piece of hard backed carpet held in by two thumb screws. Remove he thumb screws and that releases the carpet. That reveals the heater blower; at the front and between the blower and transmission tunnel is the resistor. It has two cables attached and is held in by two 5.5mm hex headed screws (5mm is to small and 6mm to large) so make sure you have the right size socket before starting.
Remove the connectors and then the screws. When you drop the screw behind the carpet a standard self taping screw or similar will suffice to replace it!
Now on my wife's car the heater had smelt of burning for a while but I did not need to renew the resistor. It seems that a poor contact between the black cable large connector and the connector spade on the resistor was the problem. A careful bend on connector improved the contact and and voila all working and no TCP smell! 20mins job done.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Does anyone know where I can purchase the large black connector to the resistor? Surely not Breakers only??
After intermittent problems with the heater working, I jostled the wire and it started smoking so turned AC off quick.
The large black connected is a bit fried so I need a new one. Any help greatly appreciated
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129775...7146/lightbox/
This is what the connector looks like now (hopefully the link works)
AO Silver Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

alfasud

some one is breaking a 2.4 brera on ebay most part available.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Thanks. That's probably my best bet as I can't find anywhere that sells these kind of small parts

County: Etela-Suomen Laani

Member car:

159 3.2 V6 Q4

I'm having same problem with my my07 159. In the beginning I suspected related fuse or fan motor. However, after a brief inspection I found the problem was partially melted connector between fan wire and resistor box... The root cause is maybe bad connection between connector and the box which caused some heat.

The connector seems to be quite "exotic" so I don't want to order it from somewhere and wait for "some" months it to arrive. Instead, I am planning to solder AWG12 wires directly to resistor box, fill the empty space in connectors hole with epoxy glue in order to avoid short circuit and other pain and then adding matching connector to fan motor wire set.

Connector hole in resistor box: http://tinyurl.com/kfssbc4
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0TS

This does sound very similar to the problem I had with mine 2 weeks after getting it. Mine had apparently been fixed by an auto-electrician before I bought the car.
Have a look back through this thread, I'd found decent parts from a breakers yard, resister pack and part of the wiring loom from a Renault Megan 2 that is a common part with the Alfa 159. (and alot cheaper) The loom wasn't a direct fit into the Alfa, but it does have all the important connectors that you need (that have probably been damaged). This little sub-loom was very easy to splice into the existing wiring harness and gave me the chance to cut out sections that looked like they had got hot. This is how mine looked....
Resistor pack.jpg

County: Essex
I solved my problem following the advice that a Laguna 2 loom and connectors fit perfectly.
eBay is your best bet to locate one for about 20, well worth the money.

Same problem-what's the cause?

I have had the same problem, with the same symptoms. I have done a partial repair but I think it will only be a short term solution.
What I'm wondering is, what causes the overheating problem in the first place? Does anyone know?
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernolese View Post
I have had the same problem, with the same symptoms. I have done a partial repair but I think it will only be a short term solution.
What I'm wondering is, what causes the overheating problem in the first place? Does anyone know?
I'm not 100% sure of the root cause of the issue, my thinking was along the lines that in my car the resister pack had developed a small fault of possibly a bad connection from the smaller control wiring that led it to draw too much current for the loom, and that in turn led to the issues I had with the melted main power connector and loom.
As I posted above the pic of my resistor pack, I was not able to re-use my resister pack, and I think that is a good thing, there was a chance if I'd re-used it the same problem would have happened again.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Some general photos of where this is located and how to remove it are now in this thread:-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l#post15144969 (Strange smell with air recirculation on -no ac-)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
blower , fan , heater , stopped

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page