159 2.4 JTDm PAS fluid - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent
159 2.4 JTDm PAS fluid

So I've read all the threads regarding pas rack failure and the red and green fluid. My old 159 (56 plate) had the red fluid and needed a new rack and the new repl\acement fluid was green iirc.

In my current car the fluid is red, the rack is slightly noisy but not anywhere near as bad as my other 159 was.

I checked the price of PAS fluid in Halfords the other day for the 159 and it was not too expensive, if I need to buy a fluid transfer pump I think the total cost of this may not be too expensive and may be an insurance policy as such against rack failure.

So a few questions:

1. Do I even bother to change the fluid, if so how much do I need?

2. Using a fluid transfer pump via the pas reservoir, is this the right method to get rid of the old fluid? Where is the best place to get one of these items - I've seen something that looks like it would do the trick on amazon for 10-15.

3. Any other advice appreciated....

My wife says that Alfas aren't a matter of life and death. I agreed, but then she went and bought one!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Armagh

Member car:

Giulietta QV

The fluid listed for the 159 / Brera in Halfords is the red fluid. I believe they do a green fluid that will work and is the same as the green alfa fluid, but the guidebook in halfords will direct you to the red stuff.

Not to start a debate again but personally I wouldn't change it unless it is very noisy. Plenty of cars running the green stuff with the odd groan and creak over the cold weather.

Mine has been happily running the red for 2 winters now and 33000 miles.
AO Member
County: Dorset
I spoke to AHM about this a couple of days ago (I have red fluid). Their advice was that they believe the colour of the fluid changed with the specification of some of the internal components. Therefore they say to keep the same fluid that came with the rack. They also said that the two fluids should NOT be mixed, something which is practically impossible to avoid on a simple fluid change.

I hope I'm paraphrasing them correctly.

Ian A.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , fluid , jtdm , pas