Thinking about a 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 31-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

1973 2000 GTV

Thinking about a 159

I'm likely to be going through two rather significant motoring revolutions over the next few months.

The first is to sell my 147 GTA
Alfa Romeo : 147 GTA 3.2 V6 Q2
(Anyone interested should DM me!)

The other, is to sell our family van (AKA, MPV)
(Actually, a rather smart Mitsubishi Grandis if anyone was wondering...)

Now the kids of grown up a bit, we don't need an MPV and the idea is to buy a regular estate in replace of both and I thought, what better than a 159SW?

I've had a Sportwagon before, but realise the 159SW is a leap ahead in build, space and refinement over the 156. Or is it? What's the top 5 things (if they exist) I should look out for when buying one...?

I'll be buying used; a 2007 car with as few prev owners as poss, low milage, dark colour and an absolute must, Ti spec. I'm thinking the 2.4 will be a good bet – my first ever diesel – Yikes!

I've not even had one for a test drive yet, but wanted to ask you lot whether any of you regularly use your 159s with 5 people in (2 grown-ups and 3 kids)? Having a 7-seater right now is great, but will the 159 comfortably handle 2 kids and booster seat along the back seat?

What's the boot like? On my old 156SW is was a joke (less capacity than a Golf) and is it easy to see out of and park (thinking about the missus here who I'm trying to sell the whole idea into) but importantly, does the 2.4 still have a fair amount of poke? I'm coming from a GTA remember, so don't wanna be trundling along (though I'm resigned the fact I won't be shreading front tyres quite as much as I do right now).

Any input you can offer would be great.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Dorset
Haven't had mine long. Space in the back is JUST big enough for child seats, rear facing one is the biggest problem, requiring the front seat to be further forward than desirable. Don't know if you'd get three seats across, the remaining gap in mine is pretty narrow, depends on the child seats probably.

Boot space is bigger than the Seat Leon it replaced but not by a huge amount. Access is a tad narrow and the Maclaren buggy wont fit in unless it is diagonal which divides the remaining space.

2.4 is quick enough and can be mapped for more. Plus it really does sound quite good for an oil burner. Fuel economy less good, like 33mpg average!

It's not an MPV. It's not even as practical as a big hatchback. However I for one am prepared to make some compromises to have an Alfa rather than a Renault Scenic!

Ian A.
AO Member
County: Gwynedd

Member car:

159 2.4 sw

I love my 2.4 and certainly don't trundle anywhere. We manage to get about with a 2 and a 4 year old no bother even with all their associated cr@p. It is THE best looking estate out there by a long shot and I often get comments which confirm the fact. Go for it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , thinking