159 3.2 oil temp gauge not working?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 31-10-10 Thread Starter
KFC
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
159 3.2 oil temp gauge not working??

Hi,
So I bought my 159 3.2 yesterday and love it! So nice to drive and the feel of it.... Well, I'm starting to see why people love Alfa's so much!

It's difficult to spot everything with a car when you view it, you look at the obvious stuff. I did fail to notice that the 3rd dial on the left is a oil temp gauge and sits on 70, hot and cold. My hope it's something simple like a connection to the sensor?? Although I've read it's a big job because the sensor it self fails and and it's in the sump. 11 hours garage time?? Does that mean the engine has to be lifted to get to it???
I really hope that I can sort it easily.

What's your opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 15 Old 09-03-11 Thread Starter
KFC
AO Member

Anyone have any views? Can the temp sensor be changed without taking the engine out?
I had the floor off it and took the plug off to clean it.. There was a bit of oil in the plug, cleaned it but still no joy. Not sure if the sensor is buggered or the other end because it's shorted out..
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

159 3.2 Q4 JTS

It's a big job if the sensor has gone. Take it back and see what they can do.
(Post Link) post #4 of 15 Old 09-03-11 Thread Starter
KFC
AO Member

Hmmm.. It's 4 years old and I bought it privately so I'll have to put up with it I suppose...
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
It's easy to get at & out on a 3.2 but it's a sump off job on a 2.2
Awaiting Email Conf

County: Glasgow
I had my 3.2 done under Alfa Care and the engine had to be dropped it was in for two days, so it must be quite a big job, best of luck
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
When my car was serviced I was shown where it was compared to the 2.2. It's very accessible & easy to swap out so I'm a tad confused now
AO Member

County: -
Yeah....I'm confused too. Can't anyone describe in more detail where it is on a 3,2 V6 and what needs to be done do make the switch?
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 15-03-11 Thread Starter
KFC
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimman View Post
Yeah....I'm confused too. Can't anyone describe in more detail where it is on a 3,2 V6 and what needs to be done do make the switch?
I can't describe it better but I have taken photo's. I rekon if I took out a section of exhaust then I could get a straight run back with the sensor. I have no idea what it looks like or how long it is but I'm sure there's enough room.

I want to do an oil change anyway so that would be a good time to have a go at it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAD.jpg (58.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Exhaust Switch.jpg (143.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Exhaust 1.jpg (149.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Exhaust 3.jpg (146.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Exhaust 2.jpg (129.1 KB, 45 views)
427scr

Are your pictures of the oil temperature sensor or the oil pressure sensor?

My Alfa dealer in Derby says that it is a sump off job (not engine out) on a V6 but to do this, the cros member needs to come down and new stretch bolts fitted to get it back.

From what I can gather, the faulty part is inside the engine, not just a screw in sensor.

(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 24-03-11 Thread Starter
KFC
AO Member

I was guessing it was the temperature sensor because it makes sense to me for it to sit at the bottom of the sump. The manuals are crap and no detailed information on the sensor. I would imagine the pressure sensor is higher up theaded in the block like most sensors.

Thanks for the info and interest.
AO Member

County: Mazowieckie

Member car:

Brera V6

Hi KFC,
I have the same problem in my Brera. Alfa Service explain to me what need to be done to replace the sensor:
Sensor is in the sump as you said, because it is the same sensor for engine oil level! Those sensors should be separated!
Anyway, to remove it in V6 engine, whole suspension need to be dismounted, sump removed and sensor replaced.
The total cost here in Poland is about €1000, so as everyone said - it is not worth of it.

I was thinking what to do, to get any temperature on the dial? I think that if someone could check the voltage output related to the temp. values, then maybe some other temp. sensor could be used instead? I'm care about the temp. only. I don't care the oil level.

If I'll find any solution, I'll write it here.

...V6 sound - pricelsess!
AO Member

Member car:

Ford GT40

Hi all

Sorry to revive this thread but just bought a brera with faulty oil pressure gauge. I don't think it's worth spending the money to fix it as it's an expensive job.

However just wondering, do you think the oil pressure warning light would still work in the electronic display of the pressure was to drop? While the gauge reading is nice to have the main thing you need is that warning light so you know when there is a more serious issue

Thanks

Trev

Member car:

Hey
My oil pressure gauge isn't working either. I used some tester, can't remember if it was fiatecuscan or another one, and it had an option to test both the warning light and the gauge entirely. The warning light works on my car, so i decided not to replace the gauges. All three come in one piece.

Hello, I need to replace the sensor, too, doing all together with timing chains and clutch. Does any one know, if a GM part (if LY7 engine, clear) fits (same as the timing chain set fits) ? One could save a lot of money. Thanks

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , gauge , oil , temp , working