Does a 1.9 159 handle better than a 2.4? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 31-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Does a 1.9 159 handle better than a 2.4?

As you might be aware from my 159SW vs Mondeo thread I'm looking for an estate car and am now almost certainly going for the Alfa . Spoke to the Alfashop yesterday about DPF and EGR and they recommended Alfatune and A H Motorsport for DPF removal and remaps. Looking at the AHM website got me thinking. You can get a 1.9 remapped at 195bhp. Does this then make a more reliable and better handling car than a 2.4?

Has anyone had a 1.9 remapped at AHM? Any other thoughts?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Dorset
It won't make it sound like the 2.4. Plus with the 2.4, you can map it to near 250bhp.

1.9 more economical though? You pays your money....

Ian A.
AO Member
County: Dorset
Having owned a mod'd 2.4Ti and used a 1.9 courtesy car for a while following an EGR / DPF issue which went on for over a week, I can attest that the 1.9 is the better car for around town driving, lighter on its wheels, nimbler, quite quick enough and more chuckable proving that no matter how sticky the tyres, eventually you will not defeat the laws of physics!

Get out of town though, and the 2.4 crushes the 1.9 with its ability to cover ground rapidly, overtake traffic and attack A roads in general, especially in Ti form where it grips and powers its way around high speed corners a confidence the 1.9 cannot match. Cruising on the motorway you are just as well of with the 1.9 due to its better fuel return.

Horses for courses then, depends what you want out of the car but for most of us, the 1.9 would suit 80% of our driving. The 2.4 does put a smile on your face though.

Ex 164QV, 145QV, 156 2.0TS Modifica, 159Ti, Maserati Ghibli GT.....sob, I want it back mummy Brera S Modifica
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
I think a re mapped 1.9 will be ideal for you. Never driven a 2.4 so couldn't comment on how it handles but the 1.9 could definately do with a bit more ooomph.
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

159 2.4JTDm SW

I've got a 2.4 SW (Lusso) remapped by Alfatune (DPF removed etc.)
First, I agree about the sound ,never thought I'd say that about a diesel. Personally I think the 5 cylinder growl is about the best you can get from an inline oil burner.
Second it's not so much the ~250bhp it's the crushing torque it now has that is fantastic
Turns the car into a perfect tourer (recently did 1000 miles to south of France and back and it was a pleasure to drive).
Power is always available between 2k and 4.5k rpm. Overtaking is swift and safe.

I was originally waivering between the 1.9 and the 2.4, I think you can tell that I'm happy which way I decided. IMHO it would be a shame to have such a beautiful car that didn't have the "go" to match the "show".

As for reliability, well, both the 1.9 and the 2.4 have their known issues. I figured that getting the DPF removed and the EGR disabled as part of the remap would take out a couple of the most common problems people seem to find

BTW the Alfatune and AHM remap and DPF removal are the same, they worked on it jointly AFAIK

Hope that helps

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , handle