Alfa 159 high milage buying advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 29-10-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

Nothing yet

Alfa 159 high milage buying advice

Hello everybody.

I am looking for a 4 door family car and have been going through the usual suspects(3 series, Golf, Focus etc...)

While i was at one of the dealers i spied a 159. I was stunned by its good looks and the interior is one of the nicest i have sat in.

Took it out for a 20 min drive and i must say i loved it.

Got back and looked at the paper work, this sadly is where my interest stopped in this car. 4 owners and little service history so i walked away.

When i got home i got on the trader. My budget is around 6-7k so i did the usual search and it threw so results at me.

All the cars are high milage so my first question is this a problem. I would prefer diesel but would be happy with petrol.

I have seen one close buy from a dealer with 96k on it 1 owner with full history, its the 1.9 diesel. The price is right and the spec is Lusso with the full leather.

My question is when i view what should i look out for. I dont know the details of the history so dont know if cam and water pump have been changed etc. Is 96k to high?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159

Like with many second hand cars with little service history, you don't know what your getting. The biggy for me would be if its had its cam belt and water pump replaced aswell as aux belts. Also if you test drive it i always floor it at some point low gear at high revs and let it slow down in gear and listen to see if there are any whines coming from the gearbox. The front bearing in the 159 gearbox's tend to go after 5 years, and yes im talking from personal experience and from a good friend of mine that has had to rebuild several 159 gearbox's. If my memory serves me right its a vauxhall gearbox. Mine has done 63k now. At the moment i'm waiting to get a new c lutch fitted which doesn't come cheap either. I'd say if you don't do many miles get it. If this is going to be used for 15k + a year be prepared and always have £1000 spare just in case. diesels can easily be nursed to 200k miles but its the maintanence as with all cars that have been around awhile.
AO Member
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
If you're used to diesels then you'll have a fair idea what to look for - it's pretty much the same for any car.

I'd be VERY wary about something with little or no history, and the first thing I'd be doing with a car with that amount of mileage on is getting the belts, water pump and that main bearing changed...In fact it's what I've just done with the 156 2.4JTD that I've just bought with 130K on the clock (and mine came with volumes of paperwork)

<edit> Forgot to mention that Jason Dawe has written some reasonably [positive reviews about the 159 diesels</edit>
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
My 159 1.9jtdm has currently got 85K miles on the clock and is going really well.
Mine had 62K miles on the clock when I bought it, one company owner and full Alfa dealer history.
After a looking at a few it was clear that the ones with full main dealer service were much better all round than those serviced via the likes of Nationwide Auto centres etc... Just tighter and a better feel.
Totally agree with the comments about timing belt and water pump at 72K, or at least at the suggested interval of 90K.
Other than checking the electrics and body panels, trim and other obvious parts, the car seems to hold the miles extremely well. I am really impressed with how the interior is holding up, how the paintwork is looking after 85K miles.
So if you find the right one, go for it!
Just my thoughts, hope you find them useful.

Oh, and I will be buying another one in the new year, probably ex-lease, probably higher mileage....

Moved over to the dark side

And loving it
AO Member
County: Worcestershire
My 1.9 JTDm has just hit 80,000 miles and is great. Feels tight and runs very smoothly.

As the others have mentioned and as with any other car, the more history the better. Cam belt and water pump (I always budget £300 extra and have them changed as soon as I buy just to be sure).
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 31-10-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

Nothing yet

Great advice, thanks.

I would get belts and pump replaced.

How much and could you recommend anywhere in Manchester that would do a good job?

Thanks in advance
AO Member
County: Lancashire
I would suggest Gus at Alfatune in St Helens. I have taken my car there a few times and he has always done a good job at the right price, many will recommend him on the forum.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , advice , alfa , buying , high , milage