Brera automatic gearbox - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 25-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Norfolk
Brera automatic gearbox

I've noticed whlist driving my recently purchased 3.2 Q4 that the automatic gearbox keeps me in 3rd gear at 30mph. In my previous car, the engine was quite happy in 4th gear at 30mph and I got good mileage out of it.

When using the paddle shift to force it into 4th, the revs drop, which in theory means it's more efficient, but would this cause any issues with the engine? The last thing I'd want to do is change up when the engine doesn't want to

I suppose I could put Winter mode on just for 30mph driving, which might force the gears to change up sooner.

Anyone had an issue with this?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Aberdeen

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

I got my knuckles rapped for not driving in 3rd at 30 mph during a defensive driving course and this was being taken by the same guy that does driver training and examinations for the Grumpian Polis.

Anyway, and back on subject, the V6 with a manual box is an absolute pleasure to drive through town and my typical gear for 30-40 mph is 5th with revs 1,200 - 1,400. Most of the time I go odd gears up to get there and evens down. It does get a good blow through every so often so it's not sitting there all the time which would be an absolute crime . The engine has more than enough torque to cope with it so I wouldn't see a problem with 30 mph in 4th.
If you have it in Sport/Snow Mode then it will hang on the gears far more and longer as this changes the parameters of the gears to a more sporty mode of course so, you can gain a higher rpm before changing into the next gear when the car is in Automatic mode. If the car is in normal mode, I find that my car, which is the same as yours in terms of it being a Q4 Q-Tronic 3.2 model; will hover in the higher gears more so at lower speeds as well as changing gears far earlier.

If I am just cruising at 50/60kph, then it will easily shift to 3rd and then 4th, if the speed stays constant for a while it will then stay in 4th at that speed, but it will not engage into 5th nor 6th because the gearbox will not allow upshifts/ downshifts at certain rpm and speeds with some gears. 6th will only engage if you are travelling over 100kmh and 5th will engage after 70/80kph I think it is.

If you are doing about 60kmh or slightly above (please, we are not American and we have the metric system lol...mph...?) and your gear box is in the sports mode, then yes it will hover far longer in 3rd but should change to 4th if the speed remains constant for a small amount of time. If you want to use the Auto mode (which I never do, my car stays in Sports mode with me changing gears manually with the paddels) then switch off the sports mode button and you will be able to change gears far earlier on in the rpm range.

Last edited by Astro; 26-10-10 at 00:13.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 26-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Norfolk
Thanks for the replies

It's really just an issue of efficiency when driving at 30mph. I'll try winter mode and see if that gets me up to 4th quicker, as I'm finding that you need to go over 30mph to force it into 4th and then drop down back to 30mph, which is something you obviously don't want to do.

Just wanted to check there was no issues in driving in winter mode around town and driving a huge engine on low revs.

And I agree, Astro. Metric system all the way.....except when speed and distance are concerned
AO Member
County: New South Wales
The winter mode is just normal mode, you get the best eco out of it if you want to use auto in winter? normal mode, however i use manual mode, there is no difference between winter and sport in manual mode. economy is better in manual mode as you can shift up before the auto would. The gearing is a lot lower in the Auto transmission than the 6 speed manual, ie 2nd + 80kms hour in Auto box, 2nd in manual, 110 Kmh. I still wish i had my 15Q4 manual!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

automatic , brera , gearbox