Talked out of a 159 3.2 ??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 16-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
Talked out of a 159 3.2 ???

Well this is a new one ..
I was talked out of a trying let alone buying a 3,2 jts ?? not even a heavy?? q4 weird or what I approached the dealer with a car he had in stock in mind a nice black no!! of the second generation at a very decent price as well. And I am losing patience with my 2.2 or to be honest I am sick of being creamed by bloody bmw320d's and my brothers 2.4 vtec type s accord that seems too hilariously quick with no mods what so ever aaaaaaaaargh??

Any way they told me the 3.2 was a waste of time as the 159 is far to heavy to ever be sporty ??
My 2.2 although still overly thirsty will do at least 10-12mpg more than the 3.2 and be near as quick
And the final nail was "it dosnt sound like a v6 and it certainly doesnt have the soul of the discontinued v6 or the demon grin go..."

Their advice if I want a fast characterful alfa that wont fall to bits go find a late reg Gt ??

Are they wrong?

Decidedly strange in a very alfa romeo way:
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
Originally Posted by colonel sanders View Post
Are they wrong?
Yes, only an idiot would think that an engine has a soul, so they're idiots and you should ignore them.

Drive the cars for yourself and make a decision based on that
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot
Sturgess at a guess? Not much mark up on 3.2's so probably steering you towards something else.

Great car but be prepared for 29p per mile in fuel only & 435 a year tax!

If you can afford that, well worth it
AO Member
Shades of grey I reckon and it's all relative - different for each individual. No doubt the engines are different in sound and character from the old Arese V6, but my Brera V6 is putting a stupid grin on my face, I like the lower growl and better low end pickup, even if it doesn't scream to the red line in quite the same way.

I expect the weight in the front and 2WD will affect handling a bit - did in my 156 V6, but that was still a cracking, sporty feeling drive. Q4 may add weight but my Brera sticks like superglue - unbelievable grip.

Totally wrong of them to not make you feel like you know what you want or even let you find out if its for you or not - maybe the salesman has his eye on it or is using it as the company car!?

07 3.2 Q4 SV Brera alfa red --- previously '99 156 2.5 V6 for 9.5 years

Last edited by Burnsy; 16-09-10 at 22:27.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 16-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
well i reckon I should at least try I have driven a gt 3.2 and my last v6 was a 166 super (both rapid/thirsty) but the Gt was near uncontrollable (not q2) I have heard one(159) up close and personel and it is a bit sanitrytowelled ? and at the end of the conversation I was advised genuinely to go try a bmw 330d if i want the oopmh and mpg 40+ ???or keep the 2.2 for the gorgeous looks and individuality or I will just sod it all and Go find another late reg 166 3.2 with a rare manaul box??
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

2007, Alfa 159

3.2+Q4 I almost jeez in my pants just thinking about those two put together. Car salesmen are the worst as far as knowing what they are selling. Dumbest bunch ever to hit this planet. Dude, it doesn't get any better then 3.2 Q4. It's like screwing the prom queen! And who cares about mpg, when there is no price to the green you get form driving a car like that. If you don't like the sound of exhaust (which i think will be impossible) ther's always the aftermarket, make it sound however you want. Get it! Dooooo iiiiitttt!
AO Member
County: Cornwall
Cant understand how your gettin creamed by 320d 3 series - my 1.9jtdm (remapped) easily leavs them in my much better looking wake!!
Graham P
Was that an Alfa delaer talking like that? They are f***king nuts pardon the French. I have had dealers put my car down lots of times to lower the part ex price but never put down a car I am interested in

It's only 0.4 of a second slower than a GT on the 0-60 so to say it's not fast as a GT is; is a little bizarre. As an all round Alfa it is my favourite and I have had a lot. The 147 GTA was the best (or craziest) but it wasn't pratical and built like a tank or Q4 or very, very safe hence why the 159 3.2 is my favourite

mpg wise I was only getting about 5mpg more out of my old 2.2. I'm sure Simon will also confirm this. Insurance didn't go up much either (well in fact it came down quite a bit from my previous GT 3.2). Group 14 is great for such a car

Yes the noise is a little muted but all it takes is an induction or in my case a Novitech exhaust back box and it sounds exactly like a V6 should again

You are not to far from me...come and have a listen as mine is for sale (sadly due to the baby starting nursery I need to make quite substantial cost cuttings otherwise I'd have kept it for many a year)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , talked