contract hire - maintenance contract (159 TI) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 14-09-10 Thread Starter
County: North Yorkshire
contract hire - maintenance contract (159 TI)

Morning chaps. I am new to the site and on the verge of committing to my first Alfa, a 159 TI 2.0 jtdm.

I have read your forum from the shadows for several weeks while I wavered between the Ti and a Saab 93 TTiD (my last 3 cars have been Saab). I have decided upon the Alfa.

I am in the position of being able to take the car on a 3 year contract hire via my employer (19,000 miles a year). My dilemma now is do I include a maintenance contract that will include servicing and tyres?

The maintenance contract will add around 80 a month (inc Vat) to my payments (2880 over the three years).

Knowing what you know (and I've read with horror the tales about rapid tyre wear) is it a false ecomomy to take the TI without maintenance included?

Apologies for the length of this message, but I would really appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

159 TI 1.9JTD

First off - Good choice mate and welcome to the Alfa fold. I don't think you'll regret it.

As a 159 company car driver with maintainence doing about 30k per year, I go through a set of tyres every 6 to 8 months or so and at least 1 service per year. 80pm seems like good value to me as it would just about cover the cost of my tyres and as I do more than 21k pa (the service interval), I wouldn't have to fork out for servicing or repairs for anything not covered by the warrenty. However if you're saying you will be doing 19k or less, it could be a little cheaper to go without maintainence but you won't have the reassurance of knowing you are fully covered regardless of what goes wrong.

That said, you can get extra miles from you're tyres if you ask the dealer to reset the alignment. Details of the changes can be found on here and before anybody says anything. Yes I told the lease company that they can save money on tyres if they would cover the cost of realignment but they didn't want to know.
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 TBi Ti

Good choice.

Had the same options and made the same decision!
AO Gold Member
Mine was about 65 a month, a bargain considering the costs at Kwik Fit for the 19's and the pricey service costs.
AO Silver Member
County: Leicestershire
I contract hire my Brera @ 70 per month for the Maintenance element (make sure you specify tyres as they are not normally included in the standard maintenance package)

So 36 x 70 = 2520 over 3 years

Things i've had covered so far in 50k miles

Two services @ c300 each (dealer prices) 600.00
Tyres 3 sets 800 per set 2400.00 first set lasted 7k mls till re-aligned
Just had new pads front & rear (today) 300.00 thats a guess
2 yrs car tax @ 405 p/year 810.00

Total 4110.00

i'd say its a no brainer !!

"Once an Alfaholic, always an Alfaholic"

"Petrolhead Heaven - The only way to get there is in an Alfa Romeo"

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , contract , hire , maintenance