Only a matter of time... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 16-08-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Only a matter of time...

..I've been told that when you own the current spider it is a case of 'when' rather than 'if' the hood will let you down.

A few weeks ago, just before my last service, it was a sunny day and as it happens with British weather, it became overcast. So I decided that it would be best to put the roof up. It got through about 75% of the cycle - the roof up and over, the back bit up in the air, the 'cover' on the way down before I got the 'hood failure' message. Hmm. Upon returning home, I attempted it once more before before resorting to manual intervention and all was good.

Basically, this has happened a few times now. Each time I recycle (full opening and then closing) before I eventually get success.

Now when i mentioned it to the idiots at Picadilly in Knaresborough they said 'can't reproduce it - sorry'. This isn't the only fault that they have been unable to solve. My satnav + (or whatever it is called) occasionally goes in to a mode where the screen goes mental, and switches off (think of the matrix, but without Carrie-Ann Moss). This is also, with Picadilly a 'nope cant' reproduce it, bring it back when it does it again.' This sterling piece of advice is valuable, particularly as the unit is now out of warranty.

Image my pleasure last night when both things start happening at the same time (and seeing as you guys are Alfeisties, I know you can do it!). The hood took about five attempts to persuade to finally complete... The satnav has gone quiet after about five miles of switching itself on, 'matrix mode', switching itself off again (accompanied with a dull thud during the recycle mode).

SO.. I was wondering if you guys have any ideas how i might solve either of these problems. The dealer say they cant' reproduce so basically its pretty much tough on me (they've not said the last bit, but I felt like the guy I spoke to on the phone was pretty much shrugging when he said he couldn't reproduce) and I'm loath to take it back to them AGAIN (it took two attempts for them to fix a heated driver's seat) as it's a 14 mile round trip for me and well, i know the answer i'll get..........

FAILING that, can anyone recommend an alternative dealer who might do more than tell me that I can't reproduce? To be honest the satnav thing is a pain, but as far as the hood goes, it has now reduced me to basically not having a convertible as I can't trust that it is not going to let me down. I'm based in Leeds btw, so any suggestions of a good dealer/repair shop would be appreciated.

FAILING THAT: can anyone recommend a good brand of firelighters. I'm hacked off with the car completely, it has had a long list of faults and whilst these have been sorted, I'm now at the point where it is completely unacceptable. I fear that enough is enough and i can't deal with this sort of unreliability, especially when i do not feel as though i have the support and expertise of a nearby dealer.

Many thanks. (And apologies for what appears to have turned out to be a rant).

...providing charm, charisma and insanity since 1970

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

matter , time