Advice Please - About to buy 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 04-08-10 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Advice Please - About to buy 159

Hello there forum members.

I am about to become a first time Alfa owner, my girlfriend loves them and has convinced me to go fot it.

Ive seen a 159 57 plate 1.9JTDm Lusso on a really good deal but the car is CAT D Stolen Recovered. It will be approx 4000 under book value when I buy.

Ive seen lots of comments and issues regarding 159's. I would just like to know what you think would be good to check and test when I go to test drive and give it a once over?

Any experiences or common faults known about would be much appreceated.

IVe checked with Alfa, the warranty is still valid for the next 6 weeks or so.

23,000 miles FMSH, 1st MOT due end of Sept.

Matt - Newbie
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Northumberland
You dont know what some toe rag has done to the car after stealing it, did they have the keys?
if yes then probally better!

but 4k is alot off and if it has still got 6 weeks warranty then i would say go for it, but make sure it drives well first. long test drive is a definate.

Also go over the interior and if it has electric seats make sure they work (got my car back from stolen years ago with broke seats).

common faults are all over these pages, but if i was you i would try and get a deal with the seller to take car straight away then you would have more time to see if there are any fault which you could get sorted free of charge (you both win).

you could always take it to get the ecu scanned and checked which will show up any faults!

good luck
AO Platinum Member
County: Lincolnshire
It's a grey area with any Cat D. although a stolen recovered usually means the insurer writes off the car after a pay out to the owner at the time.

It shouldn't affect you insuring the car providing the car has passed an Mot prior to this (which it should have done).

I would take a mechanic with you for peace of mind to give the car a once over as 6 weeks warranty left isn't long and the car can look/feel fine but an expert can spot things you can't. I agree with the pevious poster - an ecu scan is a good idea.

La Dolce Vita...

Last edited by divadiva; 05-08-10 at 19:31.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , advice , buy