Brera binding brakes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-07-10 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTDM

Brera binding brakes

Hi all,

This was going to be a question about excessive fuel consumption not covered in the sticky.

But now I think I've worked out that my fuel consumption problem is being caused by something else - binding brakes.

I first noticed that after a spell of being in crawling traffic, once finally clear my instantaneous consumption was horrendous, about half as much as I would normally get on the same stretch of road at the same speed in the same weather conditions. After a few miles, it would return to normal.

Then I noticed it cleared quicker after in went into a tight bend sllightly faster than normal. Brain cells worked overtime as to why. Brakes? Was the weight transfer in the bend sufficient to overcome a sticky brake piston? On coming to journeys end a few miles later, I felt the alloys and noticed that the fronts were significantly warmer than the rear - yes, I know the fronts work harder, but this was verging on hot rather than warm. I haven't yet managed to get the wheels off the ground to check for free rotation - hopefully tonight.

Has anyone else noticed this excessive fuel consumption after crawling in traffic? What do you think of my theory? What fix is out there for binding brakes?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Dorset
If you are new to the vehicle are you aware of the DPF being regenerated? In the 2.4 Diesel, all the soot collected by the filter is burnt off at regular intervals by pumping more fuel into the system and burning it at very high temperatures. It causes the fuel consumption to drop alarmingly while it is happening and usually takes around 12 miles of driving or 12 - 15 minutes to complete a full cycle. You are quite likely to trigger a regen after sitting in slow moving traffic for a period of time.

Or else it could of course just be your brakes

Ex 164QV, 145QV, 156 2.0TS Modifica, 159Ti, Maserati Ghibli GT.....sob, I want it back mummy Brera S Modifica
AO Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

2.2 Brera S

I think you're onto something here. When I replaced my pads to Performance Friction I noticed the standard brakes hardly moved with the build up of brake dust. I spend ages cleaning the pad running surface and did feel a lot better once cleaned and with the new pads.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

binding , brakes , brera