Fond Memories of an
Alfasud 1.5 Ti
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Like a Nagging Wife!
Well after a couple of weeks I've gotten around to fix the "Pre-heating glow plugs not available" message. The 159 seemed to start fine, but I'm sure the cold weather (when it comes) may help to drain the battery.
So after I'd bought the long 9mm socket (had to buy a set as the only long single Halfords didn't stock was the 9mm), some copper grease and some WD40 (it's a long tome since I've been under a bonnet) I went down to the local motor factors and they didn't do me a great deal on a couple of NGK YE07 (6092) glow plugs, but I knew I needed two from measurements with the Ohm meter reading thingy.
Anyway, as the engine was warm to toasty, I didn't use the WD40, but carefully prised the glow plug caps off (they seem to have a slit right at the bottom for just this purpose) and used the long 9mm socket, a small extender and a universal joint with some gentle to firm pressure and they came out quite easily :-)
The ones I removed (Beru) were all coked up and I put the two new NGK YE07 in after applying some copper grease to the threads. They were the same length and went in easily. The old Torque wrench I have has a minimum of 10Nm and I read that these plugs needed 10-15Nm or 17Nm,...this was all too precise for me so I used the socket bar I had already used to un-tighten the old ones and supplied a sensible (firm but no gorilla) amount of force to tighten.
I put the glow plug caps/clips/cables back on (they did click) and hey presto, no more nagging,...
The car has done just over 70k (58 Plate) and I've had it for four years in Feb '15; doing the majority of those miles. I'm ready for the next two glow plugs (mines a 1.9 JTDM so I have four) to go and I'll have all the kit available to fix :-)