159 Creaky Dash. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 19-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

159 1.9 Lusso

Madness 159 Creaky Dash.

I've had my 07 159 for a little over a week now and am really enjoying it but the creaky dash is beginning to aggravate my vehicular OCD.

I've done a few searches on this and can see that the windscreen seal can be a potential culprit, so I've checked and lubricated that which made no difference. I also see that others have complained about creaks, squeaks and rattles from the dash area.

The worst of mine is coming from right in front of me, sounding as though it's coming from behind the dials (speedo etc) it's a creaky / plasticy crack which happens over say a speed hump or turning into a roundabout, anything that causes the tiniest change of load on the dash assembly.
It is possibly heat related as if I blow cold air through the windscreen vents for 5 minutes it appears to improve (tho that could be my imagination) that said yesterday and today half way through a journey I realised it wasn't doing it at all, yet this morning on the school run I could have pulled over and taken a pick axe to the whole lot it was so bad (at least it felt that bad on a Monday morning).

My gut feeling is that it is something to do with the plastic windscreen vents as if I apply pressure on them with my fingers I can sort of replicate the noise, as I can if I apply weight to the dash above the dials. So somewhere between my ears and the windscreen

I appreciate this a tediously dull subject and I don't expect anyone to tell me it's 'such & such' (unless you know what it could be of course) but some suggestions of how to attack and resolve the problem would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else suffered from a similar problem and either resolved it themselves or had it resolved by a dealer? if so do you know what they did?

Looking forward to hundreds of replies seriously thanks in advance if anyone has got any thoughts or experiences, it's a minor problem but bl**dy irritating in an otherwise beautifully crafted interior.

159 1.9 Lusso
1.9 GT . Koni FSD . Eibach Pro . Sold .
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

It's easy to fix...switch on radio/cd/memory stick and listen to some nice relaxing music!
AO Member
County: -
If it turns out to be the windscreen seal, lubricating rarely does any good, a new seal is the only fix.

If the screen vents are creaking, you could try taking them out and putting some insulating tape where they meet the dash?

My first suggestion would be start takin bits off one by one and see if the noise goes away, changes etc. I would start with the small things myself
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 20-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

159 1.9 Lusso

Thanks chaps, well Stibbs

Just in case it helps anybody else; after quite a bit of mucking about I found that firmly wedging a rag in-between the dash and windscreen cured it completely. The rag has since been replaced with three evenly spaced rubber widgets (approx 3/4" long and 12mm diameter) and no more annoying creaks or ticks .... and relax
Originally Posted by Mikeoupe View Post
replaced with three evenly spaced rubber widgets (approx 3/4" long and 12mm diameter) and no more annoying creaks or ticks .... and relax
Good to know. Mine has it but only with extreme changes of temperature.
AO Member
County: Cardiff

Member car:

Lexus IS 200 D

I know i have said this before but, why has this very persistant fault which has been on the 159 for over 4 YEARS!! Not been cured on the production line, mine has had 3 attempts to cure is better but is still there. I did not expect this fault on my 2nd 159 and at over £20000 +. Had a Vauxhall for hire, 30000 mls and not a squeak and yes the radio was off.
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Oh boy do I feel your pain. Thankfully after months of trying to get the Alfa dealer to sort this I now have a mostly squeek free car thanks in part to them but mainly down to me fault finding. Once id tracked them down a year and a half on it remains rattle free so it really points to poor build control at the factory in my mind unfortunately. Anyway heres a list of some of the ones that i found that may be your culprit.
1) Windscreen - in the end i had mine compeltely remove and re-fitted. nothing else worked and its still not perfect.Alos check your drivers mirror as mine was loose and made the most peculiar noise till it was replaced.
2) There are a number of screws under the dash and wheel that had loosened slightly and allowed the plastic trim to rub. Easily tightened.
3) The trim on the centre console (the bit next to your left knee) was actually loose and was making a squeeking noise that eminated from the screen area. I was amazed as once this was re-glued in place and it made the biggest single difference. (I was ready to sell the car befoe this got done it was so annoying)
4) Not likely your issue but if you have electric seats then the plastic cover trim under the driver seat was rattling. Poor design and easily snapped which causes it to work loose. New part fitted and its been fine since.
5) Again not likely yours but make sure gear knob is tightened if its loose or it too will rattle on poor roads and bumps.
6) The plastic housing with the lights in teh top fo teh roof can become loose as can the sunscreens - easy to check.
7) B- Pillar & door alignment. Never did either of these myself but seen other owners cure stuff with this.
Happy hunting, hope you get them fixed

56 1.8TS Lusso, 156 2.0JTS Selespeed Veloce, 159 2.2JTS TI, Mito 1.4TB 120Veloce, 159 1750 TBI TI.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , creaky , dash